Hypothetical MVL and Dividend scenario Hypothetical MVL and Dividend scenario
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    23

    Default Hypothetical MVL and Dividend scenario

    Hi,

    Just a hypothetical scenario.

    Let's say I went MVL and the distributions arrived in April/May, and then for whatever reason I was fired/made redundant in November time.

    Could I then recreate a new limited company and trade via that, on the condition that I claimed the distributions from the MVL as dividends on my self assessment, rather than Entrepreneurs Relief /Capitals Gains? I'm assuming TAAR wouldn't apply then, as there was no tax advantage gained. I know this wouldn't be tax efficient in the slightest, but it's purely looking at this from a contingency/worst case scenario perspective.

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,271

    Default

    Isn't fudging your books to get the most tax efficient case with no business justification exactly what TAAR is trying to shut down? Just saying like.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Hi,

    I was coming at this from a situation that was out of my control perspective , and not the initial intent, but I hear what youre saying .

    In this scenario then it would be a case of umbrella company in the short term I guess.

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahspooner View Post
    Let's say I went MVL and the distributions arrived in April/May, and then for whatever reason I was fired/made redundant in November time.

    Could I then recreate a new limited company and trade via that, on the condition that I claimed the distributions from the MVL as dividends on my self assessment, rather than Entrepreneurs Relief /Capitals Gains? I'm assuming TAAR wouldn't apply then, as there was no tax advantage gained. I know this wouldn't be tax efficient in the slightest, but it's purely looking at this from a contingency/worst case scenario perspective.
    Yes, that would be fine. As you suggest, wouldn't be very tax efficient. You'd have paid for an MVL and got the same tax treatment you'd have got if either you struck the company off or kept it running.

    You might be able to still attempt to claim the CGT/ER in your proposed situation...but I'd be 50:50 on whether that would succeed. Ie your argument might be that you genuinely thought the permanent role would be permanent (or at least years rather than months). If it was a genuine redundancy/firing, rather than your choice (and you didn't deliberately do anything with the view to getting yourself fired), then that could potentially support that your intentions were to remain a permie for much longer. If in turn you could then demonstrate that the best opportunity for you was a contract one, you'd be attempting to argue that each step of the way you made the decision that you thought made the most sense, and only circumstances later lead to the conclusion that perhaps liquidating was (in hindsight) not the best option. Some would say this was tenuous, and see it as black and white that restarting within 2 years = automatically caught. I don't think it's that simple...but equally I wouldn't be putting a big bet on you winning any such claim.

    However, if you were fine to declare as dividends anyway, you'd have got no personal tax benefit, so unless there's something else significant we're not aware of, nothing for HMRC to challenge.

  5. #5

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maslins View Post
    You might be able to still attempt to claim the CGT/ER in your proposed situation...but I'd be 50:50 on whether that would succeed.
    My guess is that 6 months would be challenged by HMRC, but 18 months probably wouldn't be -- again, if it were a genuine redundancy. You can't predict against a redundancy 18 months in advance. Best not get fired with cause and then start a new Ltd anytime in the 24 months, though.

    Of course, if you are made redundant after 6 months there's no guarantee you can find a contract that will allow you to use a PSC.

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,271

    Default

    The OP's hypothetical situation is very exact and very hypothetical. He wouldn't be asking this based on an idea he's had and a plan is forming?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    The OP's hypothetical situation is very exact and very hypothetical. He wouldn't be asking this based on an idea he's had and a plan is forming?
    Doubtful. What would he gain by going MVL now if he intends to turn it all into dividends in November? How dumb would that be?

    So he's just wanting to know if he's burned his bridges in going MVL, or if he could go back to working through a Ltd by converting it all to divs.

    As Gollum would have said, the hobbit (that's you) has a nasty suspicious mind.

  8. #8

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    23

    Default

    This exactly, it's just about knowing all of the options and implications of every option. As you've rightly said it would be a crazy option to intentionally do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Doubtful. What would he gain by going MVL now if he intends to turn it all into dividends in November? How dumb would that be?

    So he's just wanting to know if he's burned his bridges in going MVL, or if he could go back to working through a Ltd by converting it all to divs.

    As Gollum would have said, the hobbit (that's you) has a nasty suspicious mind.

  9. #9

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    23

    Default

    One additional thing to query is would dividends actually be allowed ? My , albeit limited, understanding is that dividends need to be explicitly declared. If there was a liquidation, these wouldn't be be available. Unless missing something

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,271

    Default

    If your company year end is different to personal tax year isn't that going to cause problems if the timings fall wrong?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •