• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore contractor working for UK Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore contractor working for UK Client

I've an offshore pvt ltd company through which I would like to get into a contract with a UK based client. I'm currently a UK resident (not a UK citizen) but would be moving back to offshore location in few months from now. My contract would most likely be starting in next couple of months and I may have to work from a UK location for few months but as said I would be working from an offshore location for most of the contract period/financial year. With all IR35 reforms I'm slightly confused if I would be falling under IR35 rules OR would I be out of UK taxation rules. Would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Very unlikely anyone will want to touch an offshore LTD company for a start.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To escape IR35, you would need to be almost 100% based offshore. Once you start coming to the UK, HMRC will be looking at the number of days you worked here.

Comment

Well, I am not really looking to come back to settle in UK in next couple of years. Although I might become a UK citizen soon and might have to visit UK few times for business meets, but the count may not be more than 60 days per year. Is that not reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by raj273 View Post
          Well, I am not really looking to come back to settle in UK in next couple of years. Although I might become a UK citizen soon and might have to visit UK few times for business meets, but the count may not be more than 60 days per year. Is that not reasonable?
          The moment you set your foot in, you would be impacted by IR35. The rules I mentioned are about non-residency for tax purposes. You can be a non-resident and still inside IR35. That seems to be your case, as you'll be working certain days in the UK.

In fact, that could be a better alternative for you, i.e. paying the taxes in the UK and working with a UK-based LTD.

If you go for the 100% offshore model, remember that you will become an exporter of services to the UK. If you happen to be in the EU, you'll find in a couple of months that everything will change when they put on the tariffs. I also don't think any company in the UK will deal with you in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
            The moment you set your foot in, you would be impacted by IR35. The rules I mentioned are about non-residency for tax purposes. You can be a non-resident and still inside IR35. That seems to be your case, as you'll be working certain days in the UK.

In fact, that could be a better alternative for you, i.e. paying the taxes in the UK and working with a UK-based LTD.

If you go for the 100% offshore model, remember that you will become an exporter of services to the UK. If you happen to be in the EU, you'll find in a couple of months that everything will change when they put on the tariffs. I also don't think any company in the UK will deal with you in that scenario.
            But what if I meet the automatic overseas tests set out by HMRC especially '2.3 Third automatic overseas test' here - RDR3: Statutory Residence Test (SRT) notes - GOV.UK

Comment

I've an offshore pvt ltd company through which I would like to get into a contract with a UK based client. I'm currently a UK resident (not a UK citizen) but would be moving back to offshore location in few months from now. My contract would most likely be starting in next couple of months and I may have to work from a UK location for few months but as said I would be working from an offshore location for most of the contract period/financial year. With all IR35 reforms I'm slightly confused if I would be falling under IR35 rules OR would I be out of UK taxation rules. Would appreciate any advice, thanks!
              What's the motivation to use this convoluted set up, to avoid UK taxes?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                What's the motivation to use this convoluted set up, to avoid UK taxes?
                'course not.
                no tax dodgers on This forum.

Comment

But what if I meet the automatic overseas tests set out by HMRC especially '2.3 Third automatic overseas test' here - RDR3: Statutory Residence Test (SRT) notes - GOV.UK
                  You can NOT escape IR35 even if you meet those tests. If you work for a UK company, and spend time working in their UK offices, you need to pay tax in the UK. There's no way around it.

The only way in your case to evade IR35 is if you work offshore 100%. Doing this from an EU country will become very difficult with Brexit. If you are thinking about a non-EU country (India?), forget about it.

Comment

Raj,

The ideal most solution for you is to establish an offshore company and bill your client via that IF your client can agree with you. This is assuming:-

i. You do not need money back in the UK for any reasons from your offshore company - still possible AND legal you are a non-UK tax resident but more sophisticated if you can afford expensive international tax advisers :-)

ii. You are definitely a non-UK resident as per the HMRC SRT. You state "I may have to work from a UK location for few months" and "may not be more than 60 days per year". These statements suggest you have not done a proper SRT assessment on your. Generally speaking, if you are working here longer than 31 days in a year then you could be a UK tax resident. Seek professional advice.

If you can only contract via a UK LTD company then it is a bit messier and you truly need (expensive) international tax professional advice. It may just be easier (and cheaper) for you to ensure your contract is outside IR35. The fact that you work mostly offshore rings positive bells.

If you are non-UK tax resident then generally "you" (personally) pay tax on UK income only and not on any overseas income. Therefore, you may be able to pay a good salary directly to yourself overseas without having to pay any income tax on it in the UK (subject to double treaty etc.). You still have to pay or "should" pay and declare it in your resident country.

This is commonly done by top-notch people of big companies to avoid personal tax i.e. become tax-resident of a tax efficient country and get them paid directly there and basically keep moving themselves and their employment around. Having said that, they have super-expensive tax advisors behind them.

Therefore, it is all possible and perfectly legal BUT you 500% need international tax advisors if you want to go down this route. Or just simply ensure your contract is outside IR35, pay taxes here and live happily wherever you are.

Side notes:-

i. Nothing to do with your passport/citizenship.
                    ii. if you are uk tax non-resident then you need to declare it in your SA which you can not do on the HMRC's online format which is most bog-standard IT accountants do. You need to file paper statements and ideally by the accountants who know how to file non-uk tax resident's accounts and may save you money too.
                    iii. If you have no UK income (personal) then you "should" not need to file SA if you tell HRMC before you leave, there is a form.

Hope this is useful.
                    Last edited by MrJoeBloggs; 14 February 2020, 09:32.

Comment

Working...
                    X