Registering for Self Assessment- CWF1 form Registering for Self Assessment- CWF1 form
Posts 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    12

    Default Registering for Self Assessment- CWF1 form

    I cannot figure out wtf the point of CWF1 form is.

    This page

    Register for and file your Self Assessment tax return: Register if you're self-employed - GOV.UK

    Suggests that if I havn't sent a return before, then I don't need this CWF1, I just 'register online' ie complete a form with no name.

    CWF1 only needed if I have already sent a return. But in this case, why do I need to register at all!?

    ?

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41,697

    Default

    What did your accountant say?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    What did your accountant say?
    My former accountant just said 'I need to fill out CWF1'. I do not currently have one and wasn't planning on getting another one.
    Last edited by proudfeet; 14th February 2020 at 03:18.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proudfeet View Post
    My former accountant just said 'I need to fill out CWF1'. I do not currently have one and wasn't planning on getting another one.
    Get a current accountant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proudfeet View Post
    I cannot figure out wtf the point of CWF1 form is.

    This page

    Register for and file your Self Assessment tax return: Register if you're self-employed - GOV.UK

    Suggests that if I havn't sent a return before, then I don't need this CWF1, I just 'register online' ie complete a form with no name.

    CWF1 only needed if I have already sent a return. But in this case, why do I need to register at all!?

    ?

    Sorry about the NLUK bot he's a bit of a one trick answer merchant.

    You need to register your self-employed status with HMRC so you can pay the National Insurance contributions. The method depends on whether you have a UTR from a previous self-assessment registration or if you need to do it all online. The CWF1 form is if you have already got the online registration for self-assessment in place so you are just informing them of the status change to self-employed rather than needing to set it all up.

    So if you have 10 digit UTR and an online self-assessment government gateway login then complete the CWF1 form, otherwise register online via the government gateway.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Sorry about the NLUK bot he's a bit of a one trick answer merchant.
    Best answer for him in the long run I'll wager.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •