• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French contractor Hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French contractor Hello

Dear all, hello , i m new in contracting and just started a month ago .6 months contract with possible extension

-I live in France near Lille , social security over there and health insurance .
    -My roster is 4 on / 4 off therefore i stay at the hotel while on duty , then back to France via Eurostar where my own residence is .
    -At the moment i m paid via an international umbrella company directly on my french account.
    -They don t take taxes as i didn t get a NI number yet ( i have applied for )

My question is simple, do i have to pay taxes in UK ? or shall i do it in France as i have always done before
    -i ve send a letter to HMR and waiting their reply, in the meantime if someone have answers, that would be helpful

Many thanks
    Francky

A very warm welcome!

In general you pay taxes where the work is done.

Your umbrella company should be sorting out your UK taxes. But be very careful. There are some very dodgy "umbrella" companies out there who are basically crooks.

Maybe your question would be better in Accounting/Legal section?

Comment

I'll move it.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you work in the UK but you are resident in France, you will be liable for tax in the UK and you will have to declare it in France. The French tax authorities will take into account tax paid in the UK.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

You'll have to apply for a visa to ask questions on a UK Forum now I'm afraid.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X