French contractor Hello French contractor Hello
Posts 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie

    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default French contractor Hello

    Dear all, hello , i m new in contracting and just started a month ago .6 months contract with possible extension

    -I live in France near Lille , social security over there and health insurance .
    -My roster is 4 on / 4 off therefore i stay at the hotel while on duty , then back to France via Eurostar where my own residence is .
    -At the moment i m paid via an international umbrella company directly on my french account.
    -They don t take taxes as i didn t get a NI number yet ( i have applied for )

    My question is simple, do i have to pay taxes in UK ? or shall i do it in France as i have always done before
    -i ve send a letter to HMR and waiting their reply, in the meantime if someone have answers, that would be helpful

    Many thanks

  2. #2

    I Am Legend

    Join Date
    Aug 2006


    A very warm welcome!

    In general you pay taxes where the work is done.

    Your umbrella company should be sorting out your UK taxes. But be very careful. There are some very dodgy "umbrella" companies out there who are basically crooks.

    Maybe your question would be better in Accounting/Legal section?
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

  3. #3

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Far away from HMRC


    I'll move it.
    <-2 5m->

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    1922 Commitee


    If you work in the UK but you are resident in France, you will be liable for tax in the UK and you will have to declare it in France. The French tax authorities will take into account tax paid in the UK.
    I'm alright Jack

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009


    You'll have to apply for a visa to ask questions on a UK Forum now I'm afraid.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts