• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing company name mid contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing company name mid contract

I really hate the name of my company but I was in a hurry when I chose it back in 2010...

Anyway, I'm going to change the name now. I understand that the process is relatively painless, with some simple forms to fill in. My only small doubt is that I'm in a contract now. Should I wait till it ends before I go and confuse everybody?

What happens when I inform the bank? Will any payments coming through with the old company name be rejected or is there a period when both names will work?

I'm just thinking that the agency will almost certainly keep using the old company name, no matter how many times I tell them... and payments will get rejected if the bank doesn't recognise the old name any more.

It was pretty seamless when I changed mine years ago.

The bank was fine, they just needed a copy of the certificate of incorporation to make the change. I don't recall any issues with payments in or out.

Just make sure you make a list of all companies you pay / receive from and ensure you notify them all of the change. It's a bit like moving house in that respect.

I would try and do it when not in contract but it doesn't make a huge difference. The agency may chance their arm to charge you a fee to raise the contract paperwork against your new company name.

Comment

You've no decision points to make that might include closing it what with the current carry on?

If you are going to go inside or perm you'll no longer need it and can get rid of it once and for all?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I can't think why you need to change it though.

T.N.U.C. BRICKWORK LTD - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

Comment

Why didn't you just call it your name like this guy. Helped him with his IR35 status as he clearly had a start and end date although substitution might have been a bit tough.

JESUS CHRIST LTD - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

Comment

You are Thomas Russell and I claim my £5

DROP TABLE CONSULTANTS; LTD
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
              I really hate the name of my company but I was in a hurry when I chose it back in 2010...
              OMB Limited is already taken, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post

Anyway, I'm going to change the name now. I understand that the process is relatively painless, with some simple forms to fill in. My only small doubt is that I'm in a contract now. Should I wait till it ends before I go and confuse everybody?

What happens when I inform the bank? Will any payments coming through with the old company name be rejected or is there a period when both names will work?

I'm just thinking that the agency will almost certainly keep using the old company name, no matter how many times I tell them... and payments will get rejected if the bank doesn't recognise the old name any more.
                Possibly when Confirmation of Payee rolls out in March, where up to now only sort code and account number are checked, now the payee name is a primary key also for checking

To stop old people sending payments to fraudsters

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                X