• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant fees for closing Limited Co

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant fees for closing Limited Co

So I'm a Limited Co providing services to financial insititutions. I have recently given my accountants notice that I would like to close my company. My company ceased trading end of July 2019 when I went permanent employed. My previous tax year ran from April 1, 2018-March 31, 2019, so I still have Corporation tax and Self Assessment due for April-July 2019. The company has no assets.

So to produce the final accounts, file my self assesment, submit a DS01 form (strike off a company from the register), and issue a P45, I'm being charged a grand total of GBP 385+VAT as part of their (appropriately named) "wind-up" procedure.

I pay £84 monthly fee and additional £60 year for Self-Assesment.

Apart from the £10 to Companies House, has anyone else had to pay accountancy fees to close their Limited Co ?

Originally posted by ih8ir35 View Post
    So I'm a Limited Co providing services to financial insititutions. I have recently given my accountants notice that I would like to close my company. My company ceased trading end of July 2019 when I went permanent employed. My previous tax year ran from April 1, 2018-March 31, 2019, so I still have Corporation tax and Self Assessment due for April-July 2019. The company has no assets.

So to produce the final accounts, file my self assesment, submit a DS01 form (strike off a company from the register), and issue a P45, I'm being charged a grand total of GBP 385+VAT as part of their (appropriately named) "wind-up" procedure.

Apart from the £10 to Companies House, has anyone else had to pay accountancy fees to close their Limited Co ?
    Did you expect them to do this for free?

REALLY?

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

ask your accountant

Comment

You could do it yourself if you're not happy with the fees.

I get you want to sense check whether it's a fair price but it would be a rare accountant who would take you on just to close you down. Your monthly fees are for day to day accounting. The extra fee is for a specific piece of work in addition to that.

Just because you haven't really traded since last year isn't your accountant's problem, so it's perfectly reasonable to have paid the monthly fee for no work. Some accountants will reduce their fees if you're not doing anything but you have to think to ask that first, not pay up then complain later.

Comment

There was someone on CUK a few weeks ago saying his accountant wanted £2k to close the company, on top of the monthly fees.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            There was someone on CUK a few weeks ago saying his accountant wanted £2k to close the company, on top of the monthly fees.
            Yeah and PC said he was a contractor once as well.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              You could do it yourself if you're not happy with the fees.

This !!!

Years ago I got a quote to build a wall in my garden

Feck that I thought and then proceeded to build it myself - 11 weekends later I had finished but was a tad wonky - and almost killed me

Got another builder round to repair it and asked what cowboy did this hash job, I mumbled cowboys

Anyhoo new builder dismantled my wall in 40 minutes and built an entire new one in 6 hours without breaking a sweat

My lesson was learnt

Leave it to the professionals

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                This !!!

Feck that I thought and then proceeded to build it myself - 11 weekends later I had finished but was a tad wonky - and almost killed me

Got another builder round to repair it and asked what cowboy did this hash job, I mumbled cowboys

Anyhoo new builder dismantled my wall in 40 minutes and built an entire new one in 6 hours without breaking a sweat

My lesson was learnt

I do this all the time, works out about 50% of the time in my case but if I combined them all together I am sure overall I'm at a bit of a loss and probably should have learnt my lesson by now. There is the occasional time though that I'll do something myself in a single weekend and save like 2k and that makes me forget about the 20 times prior where it went the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by ih8ir35 View Post

Mine has quoted £500+VAT

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    This !!!

My lesson was learnt

I would just like to point out that I would have paid cash to see this. It would be an epic Netflix series. "Tarby Builds"; just like James May's "Re-assembler", but with added sweaty bloke and the high risk of heart attack.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X