• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal action / Mislead contract was outside IR35

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why do you think the rules change in April?
    So back to my original question, should the supplier be taken to court for not doing this properly?

Comment

Originally posted by cyborg1337 View Post
      So back to my original question, should the supplier be taken to court for not doing this properly?
      go for it.
      let us know how you get on.

Comment

How do you do that?

Hint, you can't as they don't owe you any money and they aren't responsible for your personal or your limited company's tax affairs...

As I stated above - Life's unfair - live / deal with it

In this case you have 2 options:-

1) pay the correct amount of tax that you should have done with an inside IR35 contract
        2) do nothing, walk away and hope HMRC don't come knocking (I actually wish they did more often as we wouldn't be in the mess that's about to appear).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          How do you do that?

Hint, you can't as they don't owe you any money and they aren't responsible for your personal or your limited company's tax affairs...

As I stated above - Life's unfair - live / deal with it

In this case you have 2 options:-

1) pay the correct amount of tax that you should have done with an inside IR35 contract
          2) do nothing, walk away and hope HMRC don't come knocking (I actually wish they did more often as we wouldn't be in the mess that's about to appear).
          But if nobody calls them out they are going to keep doing this? And they are going to mislead contractors who are genuine. It's not always obvious from day one, sometimes it can take a while for it to be really clear what it is.

When you get to the point you realise that sh*t this is inside; Do you just call it quits and pay your taxes and let them get away with it?

Comment

It will cost you a lot of money and it’s highly likely that you will lose.

So no, the supplier shouldn’t be taken to court.

But since you don’t seem to want to hear that, I will simply repeat BR14:

Go for it.

Let us know how you got on...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              It will cost you a lot of money and it’s highly likely that you will lose.

So no, the supplier shouldn’t be taken to court.

But since you don’t seem to want to hear that, I will simply repeat BR14:

Go for it.

Let us know how you got on...
              Cojak were this any of year that would be the correct response.

In April everything changes though so the thing the OP wants (i.e. the end client and agency taking responsibility) is about to happen.

And look how well that is currently working out...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've got substantial proof of this being an inside IR35.
                Pay your tax and National Insurance then. It's your responsibiltiy to hve determined the status, and your responsibility to pay the right tax.

This is the kind of case (where people know they are inside IR35 but don't pay the tax) that leads to sledgehammers to crack walnuts like we're going to get in April.
                I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
                  Pay your tax and National Insurance then. It's your responsibiltiy to hve determined the status, and your responsibility to pay the right tax.

This is the kind of case (where people know they are inside IR35 but don't pay the tax) that leads to sledgehammers to crack walnuts like we're going to get in April.
                  It's not always obvious from day one, sometimes it can take a while for it to be really clear what it is.

When you get to the point you realise that sh*t this is inside; Do you just call it quits and pay your taxes and let them get away with it?

Comment

So you want to make a fuss for no reason except flag to HMRC that you owe them a tulip load of tax??

Wow. Makes JtBs case look vaguely sensible in comparison.

If you start taking agencies to court over contracts that are outside but work conditions are inside? A vast majority of contractors are in this position and are happy to try avoid HMRC to keep their money and you bring in it in the spotlight it's all a sham? If you win you'll be the most hated person in contracting.

First step is to prove to HMRC you are inside and pay them their tax. Let's see how that affects your desire to follow this up.

Just ridiculous.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No. It's your responsibility.
                      I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Working...
                      X