• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passive income and personal liability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passive income and personal liability

I'd like to use some of my time (as well a contracting) to develop mobile apps with the view to generating a probably small (but hopefully large) passive income from ad revenue.

I've seen reports from other developers who have been targeted by patent trolls which has left me concerned about my personal liability while trading on the Google and Apple play stores.

Obviously indemnity insurance would be useful but ideally I'd like to ring-fence by personal assets completely. A limited company would be overkill at least while the income is in the £100's/month but I like the idea of being able to walk away from any legal issues with my house in-tact. Is there any other way to protect myself ? Could I use an umbrella as a pseudo company with the same protection ?

Originally posted by Grr View Post
    I'd like to use some of my time (as well a contracting) to develop mobile apps with the view to generating a probably small (but hopefully large) passive income from ad revenue.

I've seen reports from other developers who have been targeted by patent trolls which has left me concerned about my personal liability while trading on the Google and Apple play stores.

Obviously indemnity insurance would be useful but ideally I'd like to ring-fence by personal assets completely. A limited company would be overkill at least while the income is in the £100's/month but I like the idea of being able to walk away from any legal issues with my house in-tact. Is there any other way to protect myself ? Could I use an umbrella as a pseudo company with the same protection ?
    No - just keep it in your contracting company and be glad things are simple for you.

I have a separate US company in progress as it's rapidly becoming unavoidable.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

as eek says, use your contracting co.

As for patent trolls...... That would not necessarily be a bad problem to have as you'd have to be very successful with the app for that to happen. I'd call that a tomorrow, hopefully problem.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        No - just keep it in your contracting company and be glad things are simple for you.

I have a separate US company in progress as it's rapidly becoming unavoidable.
        Thanks (in part) to IR35 I don't have a limited company any more. And that's a shame because the 'limited' part was really useful.

Comment

Working...
        X