• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting to MOD - HELP!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please if any one can help me with some advice I would really appreciate it.

I have been offered a contracting role with MOD for the next 9 months or so and going through the process of getting paperwork squared away, but today I received an email from PRS.

1. Confirmation that you provide your consent for AMS to represent you, and that you are willing to supply Services to the Client.

2. In applying for this role you acknowledge the following; this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation, and has been assessed as being caught by IR35. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day, and will be subject to appropriate taxes, statutory costs and fees. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different.[/I][/I][/B]

I guess my question is ...who are AMS and why are they representing me when I already have an umbrella company ready and waiting ?

First time contracting so i'm a little confused

Any help would be appreciated

Gary

Originally posted by Gary B View Post

I have been offered a contracting role with MOD for the next 9 months or so and going through the process of getting paperwork squared away, but today I received an email from PRS.

1. Confirmation that you provide your consent for AMS to represent you, and that you are willing to supply Services to the Client.

2. In applying for this role you acknowledge the following; this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation, and has been assessed as being caught by IR35. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day, and will be subject to appropriate taxes, statutory costs and fees. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different.[/I][/I][/B]

I guess my question is ...who are AMS and why are they representing me when I already have an umbrella company ready and waiting ?
    AMS will be the agency. Alexander Mann I reckon.

your timing sucks
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Gary
      AMS - Alexander Mann Solutions

Comment

Gary
        You need to use there’s I presume

Comment

Gary
          Oh boy have you got a very steep learning curve or what. Missed the absolute low down basics of how you are engaged by a country mile.

Your umbrella is just how you get paid. You are employed by them regardless of contract. They just do your PAYE, thats all. Your work is sourced via an agency who will sign a contract between themselves and the brolly to do the work on behalf of the agents client.

Chain is Client --> Agent --> Umbrella --> You

(EDIT : The above chain is a generalistic one. SimonMac has posted the realistic one for your situation lower down)

There is a contract in place at each arrow between the two parties.

Very very very important you understand what you do and how it works. It's your living now.

Go look on the right and read every post in the First Timers Guides and then read everything in the Umbrella Company guide and then read the rest of it.

You couldn't picked a worst time to enter a market in turmoil with so little understanding.

Good luck to you!
          Last edited by northernladuk; 26 February 2020, 14:06.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            You need to use there’s I presume
            Use what?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Use what?
              "Use theirs" is what he meant...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                "Use theirs" is what he meant...
                +1 and I suspect* they have very good reasons for insisting that you use one of their umbrellas or continuing job hunting at the moment.

* Wish I could say more but I can't yet.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Gary
                  Do you mean PSR (Public Sector Resourcing)?

Your chain will go MOD > AMS > PSR > Brolly > You

Technically AMS and PSR are the same company, AMS have the exclusive contract for gov jobs (changes from Hays) and they will try to fill from PSR in the first instance as an "inside agency" before going to other agencies when they can't fill the role.

EDIT: If it makes you feel better, remember each entity in the chain between you and the end client will be taking a cut of YOUR money
                  Last edited by SimonMac; 26 February 2020, 14:17.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    EDIT: If it makes you feel better, remember each entity in the chain between you and the end client will be taking a cut of YOUR money
                    Is this the general view amongst contractors?

For example, surely the £800 per day the MOD have agreed with AMS is not considered the contractor's money? The contractor's money would only be the amount that PSR agrees with the contractor, e.g. £500 per day. Anything above in the chain is not known to the contractor so shouldn't affect them. They'll only accept the rate that their happy with, and that's £500 (not £800).

Thanks

Zeeshan
                    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Working...
                    X