• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU Posted Workers scheme Finland to Dublin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU Posted Workers scheme Finland to Dublin

Hi,

I am a UK citizen who has been absent from the UK for 20 years. I have been living in Finland for the last 2 years and have been working under Finish self employment a type of tax scheme which allows for the deduction of personal accommodation and living expenses (78% retention)

I have now been offered a 2 year contract in Dublin working through a large European employment agency (one of the top 5 largest). I checked with my Finnish accountant and they suggested that I continue to be taxed in Finland and use the EU posted workers regime to be employed in Ireland.

However, the employment agency have said that their payroll department won't make payments to another country outside of Ireland. And that I have to either set up a Irish PLC or use an Irish Umbrella company.

Whilst I am happy to oblige but i notice that the allowable expenses for the Irish PLC do not allow costs of accommodation to be set against tax (60% retention).

Now as finding and paying for accommodation in Dublin is crazily expensive (€2-3000 plus per month) I would like to rely on the Finnish self employment scheme associated with the EU posted workers scheme at least until the end of 2020 when who knows what will happen.

Does anyone know why the agency payroll are instigating this rule or is this just the agent hoping that I will fall easily into line for a sign on bonus with a payroll/PLC agent in Ireland.

What should I do or ask from the agency?

Thanks for any assistance
    Last edited by DavidFranklin; 26 February 2020, 13:19. Reason: added retention rates

Does you Finnish company employ multiple people? I guess the fact you call yourself self-employed makes that a NO.

If not when you start working in Ireland your entire company is based in Ireland so the posted worker scheme is invalid.

So everything the agency is saying is correct and you can't work around it - your options are to accept the terms with Irish expenses rules or walk away.
    Last edited by eek; 26 February 2020, 13:39.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Does you Finnish company employ multiple people? I guess the fact you call yourself unemployed makes that a NO.

If not when you start working in Ireland your entire company is based in Ireland so the posted worker scheme is invalid.

So everything the agency is saying is correct and you can't work around it - your options are to accept the terms with Irish expenses rules or walk away.
      This.

Now look at this, for when you have to use an Irish Ltd.

https://fenero.ie/contracting-irelan...ide-irish-tax/

You have a good handle on living costs in Dublin. However you could make it work a bit cheaper. E.g. If you are working in the IFSC, you could rent a flat in Donabate or somewhere on the train line and get the train into Connolly.

If you do decide to set up in Ireland, I recommend icon accounting and Director's Umbrella structure.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        This.

Now look at this, for when you have to use an Irish Ltd.

Nothing found for Contracting Ireland Uk Limited Company Guide Irish Tax

You have a good handle on living costs in Dublin. However you could make it work a bit cheaper. E.g. If you are working in the IFSC, you could rent a flat in Donabate or somewhere on the train line and get the train into Connolly.

If you do decide to set up in Ireland, I recommend icon accounting and Director's Umbrella structure.
        Contracting in Ireland with a UK Limited Company | Fenero personal tax services seems to work
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
        X