• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Privacy fee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Privacy fee

Today I received a letter from the ICO saying I may need to pay £40 as my ltd co handles client data. As a contractor I've never been asked to pay this before. Apparently I could be fined £4,000 if I don't pay.

Anyone else paid for this?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Data protection fee | ICO

it's got nothing to do with client data, just personal data.
    If you handle personal data on behalf of your client, and that handling is not covered by the client own policies, then you may need to pay.
    It all depends on the details of what you handle and in what commercial relationship with the client you process it.
    Last edited by Lance; 27 February 2020, 13:46.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Get the agent to pay it for you
      Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

It's not in relation to any particular client. It's just a letter sent to my business direct from the ICO to my accountant

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
          It's not in relation to any particular client. It's just a letter sent to my business direct from the ICO to my accountant

do you process personal data on behalf of your company?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I received a similar letter, probably the same letter. I don't even have any current clients in the EU. My accountant had no idea why I'd received it.

I contacted them and told them this and they said it wouldn't apply to MyCo, in that case.

It's apparently a fishing expedition. Note that it says 'may' need to pay. Some people will just pay it, no doubt. It cost me more than £40 of time to be sure I could ignore it, since I was on hold forever. Effectively, it's a scam being run by an official agency.

Comment

You can register as exempt if you meet the criteria. Details on the ICO website.

Friend of mine had this same letter recently.

Comment

Write to the ICO asserting your right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  You can register as exempt if you meet the criteria. Details on the ICO website.

Friend of mine had this same letter recently.
                  Agree with this. It's a legitimate company/business. Most contractors won't require it though so just notify them if it doesn't apply to you.

Comment

I've been a member for a number of years as I am Data Platform consultant and work with personal data.

I do it to show that clients can trust me not to do anything stupid with their data.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X