• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to understand handcuff clause details / Consultancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to understand handcuff clause details / Consultancy

This is the set up: MyCo > Agency > Consultancy > ClientCo

The handcuff clause between MyCo and Agency says:

...or with any third party introduced to the Contractor or Personnel by the Client to provide any services of the same or similar nature to the Services during the term of the Assignment and for a period of 6 months

I see a grey area in that clause. I get that I'm not allowed to provide the same or similar services to ClientCo and there is a 6 month cool-off period. I assume this implies direct services to ClientCo?

If I switch to a new Consultancy (letting contract end naturally with Agency and old Consultancy) I will then be providing services to the new Consultancy. The relationship with ClientCo would be an indirect one.

I'm really unsure what legal situation that puts me in. What are your thoughts?

PS: Also keep in mind that in all circumstances i'm onsite at ClientCo.
    Last edited by cyborg1337; 27 February 2020, 20:18.

So you're ignoring the reference to a third party?

Comment

Originally posted by cyborg1337 View Post
      I see a grey area in that clause. I get that I'm not allowed to provide the same or similar services to ClientCo and there is a 6 month cool-off period. I assume this implies direct services to ClientCo?

If I switch to a new Consultancy (letting contract end naturally with Agency and old Consultancy) I will then be providing services to the new Consultancy. The relationship with ClientCo would be an indirect one. .
      Why do you assume that?

Everyone sees a grey area when it affects them and they don't want to. Odd that innit.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So different consultancy for the same end client?

I’d double check that new consultancy is ok starting a turf war with old consultancy. I’ve seen some places where this is tolerated but not actively encouraged, I’ve seen it go the other way and as you’re stuck in the middle you inevitably lose
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This is the set up: MyCo > Agency > Consultancy > ClientCo

The handcuff clause between MyCo and Agency says:

...or with any third party introduced to the Contractor or Personnel by the Client to provide any services of the same or similar nature to the Services during the term of the Assignment and for a period of 6 months

If I switch to a new Consultancy (letting contract end naturally with Agency and old Consultancy) I will then be providing services to the new Consultancy. The relationship with ClientCo would be an indirect one.

I'm really unsure what legal situation that puts me in. What are your thoughts?

PS: Also keep in mind that in all circumstances i'm onsite at ClientCo.
          Inside or outside IR35?

Comment

I'm not ignoring reference to third party I'm fully aware it's referring to ClientCo in this case.

What I'm saying is that when I change the consultancy, technically I'm providing the service directly to the new consultancy. Third party is ClientCo, not competitor consultancy.

When you have clauses like these, I'd assume it makes them quite to difficult to enforce.

New consultancy appears willing.

IR35 status not clear yet.
            Last edited by cyborg1337; 27 February 2020, 23:34.

Comment

I'm not ignoring reference to third party I'm fully aware it's referring to ClientCo in this case.

What I'm saying is that when I change the consultancy, technically I'm providing the service directly to the new consultancy. Third party is ClientCo, not competitor consultancy.

When you have clauses like these, I'd assume it makes them quite to difficult to enforce.

If inside IR35, go via a brolly and close down your Ltd.

Comment

The out of context snippet was not clear as to which entity fulfils which role in the chain.

So the client in the contract is not the client in the chain. Ok, so the client is the third party and has no idea who you are as you're just a body dropped in by any old consultancy (who is the client in the contract).

The consultancy that did have the work to deliver project X is no longer delivering that work and the End Client (who you call a third party) has awarded that work to a new consultancy and, despite it being a packaged service they bought, they know who all the staff are and have asked you to move to the new consultancy to continue delivering the product that the old consultancy couldn't deliver?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  The out of context snippet was not clear as to which entity fulfils which role in the chain.

So the client in the contract is not the client in the chain. Ok, so the client is the third party and has no idea who you are as you're just a body dropped in by any old consultancy (who is the client in the contract).

The consultancy that did have the work to deliver project X is no longer delivering that work and the End Client (who you call a third party) has awarded that work to a new consultancy and, despite it being a packaged service they bought, they know who all the staff are and have asked you to move to the new consultancy to continue delivering the product that the old consultancy couldn't deliver?
                  Almost there! There are multiple consultancies that provide the same services to the end client! Anyway, my plan is to jump to one of them AFTER my contract ends. The old one will still be around.

Because work is always done indirectly for the third party (end client), and the terms are not crystal clear, I'm not sure what situation that puts me in legally. Perhaps I need to get professional advice.
                  Last edited by cyborg1337; 28 February 2020, 18:56.

Comment

Almost there! There are multiple consultancies that provide the same services to the client! Anyway, my plan is to jump to one to one of them AFTER my contract ends.
                    If that's the case you are about to be the piggy in the middle of an all out turf war - which won't work out for you unless it's the end client insisting you move consultancy and thus agency.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X