• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS - TLC35 liability cover endorsement - makes cover worthless.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll try to summarise our position as clearly as possible below and will then deal with any specific subsequent questions. Naturally very little is black and white with IR35 and it's impossible to cover every scenario, but I hope the confirmation below will provide reassurance around the TLC35 policy.
    • Contractors are presented with the application statements when purchasing the policy, where we ask them to confirm, to the best of their knowledge, that they are accurate
    • The statements are specifically confirming the contractor’s understanding of the working practices – not the client’s or HMRC’s
    • If a contractor contacts us to suggest that there is doubt over these statements, we may advise them to seek clarification or take further due diligence
    • However, we appreciate that obtaining any form of confirmation from end clients around issues like substitution is difficult and doing so is not a mandatory requirement
    • If a contractor is subject to an investigation and, during the course of the enquiry, HMRC decide that there isn’t a valid right of substitution, the policy will still cover the contractor – unless the contractor was specifically aware that this was the case
    • Contractors can obtain an IR35 review of their contract, giving them a view on the written terms between them and their agency. This is not a fully conclusive assessment of the circumstances and clearly sets out to give an opinion on the written terms only. For robust due diligence we would always suggest a contractor incorporates a review of their working practices. Neither review is a requirement of the policy
    • Qdos has never rejected a claim on the policy on the basis that there were insufficient Prospects of Success
    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Contractor View Post
      [*]If a contractor is subject to an investigation and, during the course of the enquiry, HMRC decide that there isn’t a valid right of substitution, the policy will still cover the contractor – unless the contractor was specifically aware that this was the case
      [/LIST]
      Can you please clarify - unless the contractor was specifically aware that this was the case

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Kanaiya View Post
        Can you please clarify - unless the contractor was specifically aware that this was the case
        A contractor mentions his right to substitute in conversation with a client and they turn round and say no chance. Contractor just carries on not realizing he's just shot himself in the foot. Bit like someone on here did once.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          A contractor mentions his right to substitute in conversation with a client and they turn round and say no chance. Contractor just carries on not realizing he's just shot himself in the foot. Bit like someone on here did once.
          So no insurance cover and QDOS won’t pay for the liability

Comment

So no insurance cover and QDOS won’t pay for the liability

Yup. It only stands if its in the contract and untested. If you know it won't stand but its in the contract and part of QDOS's defense you've failed to inform them of a change in circumstances. No insurers like that. Try putting over sized after market alloys on a car, not tell them and then try claim for an accident for example.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Yup. It only stands if its in the contract and untested. If you know it won't stand but its in the contract and part of QDOS's defense you've failed to inform them of a change in circumstances. No insurers like that. Try putting over sized after market alloys on a car, not tell them and then try claim for an accident for example.
              In that case should QDOS should verify the application and should say no to provide the insurance. But it’s not the case.

Comment

In that case should QDOS should verify the application and should say no to provide the insurance. But it’s not the case.

Like a car insurance company coming round before your claim to check your alloy wheels you have not told them about?

You are dreaming mate

Comment

I think you missed the point a bit. If your circumstances change, the onus is on you to inform the insurer or risk invalidating your insurance. That's how it works with all insurances.

They accepted you for a policy based on what you told them. If that turns out to be incorrect, or the situation has changed and you never said anything, then they are well within their terms to cancel the policy or restrict payout.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I think you missed the point a bit. If your circumstances change, the onus is on you to inform the insurer or risk invalidating your insurance. That's how it works with all insurances.

They accepted you for a policy based on what you told them. If that turns out to be incorrect, or the situation has changed and you never said anything, then they are well within their terms to cancel the policy or restrict payout.
                    Thank you and I totally understand and agree on the point. That’s what the exact words I want to hear from QDOS saying that the contract document is irrelevant and if the client says the substitute clause is invalid the insurance is cancelled and they won’t pay for the liability.

Comment

Thank you and I totally understand and agree on the point. That’s what the exact words I want to hear from QDOS saying that the contract document is irrelevant and if the client says the substitute clause is invalid the insurance is cancelled and they won’t pay for the liability.

Devil = detail

If a contractor is subject to an investigation and, during the course of the enquiry, HMRC decide that there isn’t a valid right of substitution, the policy will still cover the contractor – unless the contractor was specifically aware that this was the case

Assuming there is, as per usual, a sub clause with caveat in a contract. The question would be, during the course of the enquiry, what if the client decide that there isn't a valid right of substitution? And does a valid right equate to something that has not caveats?

Murky.

Comment

Working...
                      X