• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ER - not scrapped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ER - not scrapped

Lifetime limit reduced from £10m to £1m.

Phew.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Lifetime limit reduced from £10m to £1m.

Phew.
    Have I understood this correctly?

Entrepreneur will be using 100k of 1M allowance if he/she closes business with 100k distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by legal View Post

Entrepreneur will be using 100k of 1M allowance if he/she closes business with 100k distribution.
      No, it's the size of the distribution, not the benefit gained.

Comment

Will the limit be retrospectively applied?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          No, it's the size of the distribution, not the benefit gained.
          ER available up to £1m - so you pay 10% / £100k tax on this amount.

Anything above would be at 20% CGT rate.

A very fair amendment if you ask me, seeing as the majority of the relief was used above the £1m level.

Comment

A very fair amendment if you ask me, seeing as the majority of the relief was used above the £1m level.
            Indeed, perfectly reasonable (I'm shocked ).

Comment

Anything above 1M not 100K.

Comment

Anything above 1M not 100K.
                Agree (but ChimpMaster knows that).

Comment

2.199 Capital Gains Tax: Reduction in the Entrepreneurs’ Relief lifetime limit – From 11 March 2020, the lifetime limit on gains eligible for Entrepreneurs’ Relief (which offers a reduced 10% rate of Capital Gains Tax on qualifying disposals) will be reduced from £10 million to £1 million, in response to evidence that it has done little to incentivise entrepreneurial activity and that most of the benefit accrues to a small number of very affluent taxpayers.16 This will help ensure that the tax system is fair and sustainable while leaving over 80% of those using the relief unaffected.17 (46)

Sadly I'm not likely to be in a position where the £1M limit is likely to be an issue but this isn't fair. Biases the old who have already had a chance to claim it. They should have pro-rata'd the limit going forward depending on peoples ages.

Comment

Reading further details, this is correct.

2020 - Closing company with 100k profit. 100k taxed at 10%

2020 - Relief allowance remaining - 900k.

2021 - Closing company with 950k profit. 900k taxed at 10% and 50k taxed at 20%

Comment

Working...
                    X