• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CGT at LTD strike off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a good discussion with your account in order. We keep answering your questions but you aren't learning anything if thst makes sense.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

These seem like perfectly reasonable questions to me. I'm not sure why everyone should always ask their accountant first - much quicker and easier to get simple answers to simple questions elsewhere. Naturally just use anything anyone says here as initial guidance for exploring ideas rather than treating it as gospel.

To answer the OP:
      - Yes, you can get capital treatment on a strike-off, as long as the total distributed amount is no more than £25k.
      - If it's more than £25k, you'll need an MVL to get capital treatment.
      - If it's marginally over £25k, the whole lot gets treated as income - there's no split between part-income and part-capital.
      - Just take the excess as a dividend and get the amount down below the limit.
      - Strike-off potentially has other benefits - it's a lot cheaper than an MVL, and the anti-phoenixing TAAR doesn't apply.
      - There are some risks to a DIY strike-off, though - make sure you distribute at the right point in the process (Google "bona vacantia"...)

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
        These seem like perfectly reasonable questions to me. I'm not sure why everyone should always ask their accountant first - much quicker and easier to get simple answers to simple questions elsewhere. Naturally just use anything anyone says here as initial guidance for exploring ideas rather than treating it as gospel.

To answer the OP:
        - Yes, you can get capital treatment on a strike-off, as long as the total distributed amount is no more than £25k.
        - If it's more than £25k, you'll need an MVL to get capital treatment.
        - If it's marginally over £25k, the whole lot gets treated as income - there's no split between part-income and part-capital.
        - Just take the excess as a dividend and get the amount down below the limit.
        - Strike-off potentially has other benefits - it's a lot cheaper than an MVL, and the anti-phoenixing TAAR doesn't apply.
        - There are some risks to a DIY strike-off, though - make sure you distribute at the right point in the process (Google "bona vacantia"...)
        Kind of but the OP is missing some fundamental points and situation is slowly moving forward rather than him having a good discussion about all the options and variables. He's asking questions but still no closer to the solution. I think, in this particular case, he needs a much rounder approach to his problem rather than firing off questions base on answers based on questions.

It's a lot of money he's talking about here so surely a more belt and braces approach is needed

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Kind of but the OP is missing some fundamental points and situation is slowly moving forward rather than him having a good discussion about all the options and variables. He's asking questions but still no closer to the solution. I think, in this particular case, he needs a much rounder approach to his problem rather than firing off questions base on answers based on questions.

It's a lot of money he's talking about here so surely a more belt and braces approach is needed
          You are entitled to your opinion, but is it useless and dont bring any value into the thread. Ergo it is just trolling.
          Oi admin!

@Anamnesia: thanks, got it.

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
            You are entitled to your opinion, but is it useless and dont bring any value into the thread. Ergo it is just trolling.
            Oi admin!

Based on your history of posts on here, NLUK is not the one who is trolling.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oi admin!

Trolling? Honestly? Whatever.

You keep flailing around. I'm sure you'll get somewhere near a solution in the next couple of pages.

Comment

I couldnt find CGT @ 20%, where is that defined?
                1st link in a google search brings up this.

Capital Gains Tax: Capital Gains Tax rates - GOV.UK
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi all,

Question,

if you have say £34 000 in your LTD and want to strike it off (solvent) is this the calculation. 2 owners 50/50 shares, basic rate tax payers:

£24000 allowed free of CGT (2x12000)
                  £10000*10%= £1000 CGT (2x5000)

Accountant corona-ed.
                  If the retained profit is £34K at the strike off, then the full amount is taxed as dividends. The £25K cap applies only on the final distribution in "anticipation of dissolution". If you have £34K, you should declare a dividend within the final trading period to leave under £25K retained profit. If after you ceased trading you had over £25K retained profit, you cannot access the capital distribution treatment unless you go via MVL.

Comment

Working...
                  X