• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside decision overturned!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside decision overturned!

Unfortunately not for me, so I'm still looking to jump to the other contact I secured here

However interesting to hear the reasoning behind the change "as certain roles have a greater financial risk due to the high spec of laptop required by the end client" Dev's, QA and Architects will be deemed outside.

But hang on a second....

I wonder how confident those who have just been declared outside should be in the decision......
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Unfortunately not for me, so I'm still looking to jump to the other contact I secured here

However interesting to hear the reasoning behind the change "as certain roles have a greater financial risk due to the high spec of laptop required by the end client" Dev's, QA and Architects will be deemed outside.

But hang on a second....

I wonder how confident those who have just been declared outside should be in the decision......
    Yep - laptops don't count as they can be used for other things (such as gaming).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That wording has been there for a good while. It's not new.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        That wording has been there for a good while. It's not new.
        Bah, laptops?!

I use a powerful desktop with an ultrawide screen, in my own office. This should help answer Yes to the question above

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Bah, laptops?!

I use a powerful desktop with an ultrawide screen, in my own office. This should help answer Yes to the question above
          Me too

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Bah, laptops?!

It doesn't, I'm afraid

It's got to be purchased solely for the contract in question and cannot be used for anything else (even company accounts!) according to HMRC. Just another way they're trying to make IT/office roles impossible to be Outside...

EDIT
            I should add that I called HMRC about it, trying to argue that it only specifies laptops and doesn't mention desktops. That's when they told me it's a 'per contract and nothing else' thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
              It doesn't, I'm afraid

It's got to be purchased solely for the contract in question and cannot be used for anything else (even company accounts!) according to HMRC. Just another way they're trying to make IT/office roles impossible to be Outside...

EDIT
              I should add that I called HMRC about it, trying to argue that it only specifies laptops and doesn't mention desktops. That's when they told me it's a 'per contract and nothing else' thing.
              I’m calling bollocks to this

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

But hang on a second....

that is very specifically for equipment bought for the purposes of that contract.
                Also note that it requires you (the contractor) to purchase itr before being paid by the client.

This question is NOT about using your own tools. It's about supplying equipment. An example would be a builder providing bricks to build a wall.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  that is very specifically for equipment bought for the purposes of that contract.
                  Also note that it requires you (the contractor) to purchase itr before being paid by the client.

This question is NOT about using your own tools. It's about supplying equipment. An example would be a builder providing bricks to build a wall.
                  Since when did bricks become equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    Since when did bricks become equipment?
                    Quite, and the materials question is the next one in the list.

I can understand that for certain contracts, construction workers would need to buy bricks, but it's wrong for them to assume that you would have to buy tools for a specific client.

Isn't this the whole point of being in business on your own?

As an IT business, you aren't going to buy a separate laptop, printer, mobile phone etc just to prove you are in business for each contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X