• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Redundancy Amounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundancy Amounts

I've been employing my wife for the last few years at a salary of £6000. I'm going to be closing my company in April so will be looking to make her redundant at the end of March. I was under the impression I could make a tax free redundancy payment to her of £30k but when I asked my accountant about this he said there is a limit based on actual salary that I have been paying and is giving me a figure far lower.

This doesn't sound correct to me and I can't see anything on the government website about restrictions to amounts, only on statutory amounts. The redundancy amount should be at the discretion of the company as far as I can see.

Is my accountant talking rubbish here?

Originally posted by confused30 View Post
    I've been employing my wife for the last few years at a salary of £6000. I'm going to be closing my company in April so will be looking to make her redundant at the end of March. I was under the impression I could make a tax free redundancy payment to her of £30k but when I asked my accountant about this he said there is a limit based on actual salary that I have been paying and is giving me a figure far lower.

This doesn't sound correct to me and I can't see anything on the government website about restrictions to amounts, only on statutory amounts. The redundancy amount should be at the discretion of the company as far as I can see.

You say you’ve been employing her the last few years - how many?
    What has she been doing for the company to earn her salary?
    What figure has your accountant given you?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by confused30 View Post

You mean you dont like what your accountant has told you? Official redundancy pay is calculated based on the actually salary drawn and a multiplier applied based on length of years employment.

Do not confuse 'golden handshake' with legally defined redundancy payment. If you want to give your wife a huge redundancy 'payment' dont be surprised if HMRC take a closer look at the company and raise an objection to its closure.

£30k is the max tax free redundancy amount, not the maximum you can just decide to give.
      Last edited by BolshieBastard; 13 March 2020, 13:20. Reason: Spelling.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

£30k is the maximum redundnacy payment that is free of tax, after that it's taxed at your usual rate.

The amount of redundncy pay is a percentage of salary over time, with a statutory minimum after a qualifying period.

Your accountant is correct. And it's not hard to look up the answers to find out why..
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

A small point of order: there IS a statutory minimum that is calculated from salary and years of service and capped for some companies -- companies with more than X number of employees I think, but do check.

Closed companies with fewer than X number of employees can do pretty much what they like, but should expect to have to justify their decisions come any investigation.

I've not had the guts to check this with my accountant, but I believe it to be correct.

Your accountant may be trying to make your life easier in the long run.

Advice; worth what you've paid for it.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            A small point of order: there IS a statutory minimum that is calculated from salary and years of service and capped for some companies -- companies with more than X number of employees I think, but do check.

Closed companies with fewer than X number of employees can do pretty much what they like, but should expect to have to justify their decisions come any investigation.

I've not had the guts to check this with my accountant, but I believe it to be correct.

Your accountant may be trying to make your life easier in the long run.

Advice; worth what you've paid for it.
            pretty much this.
            There is no limit on what you can offer as redundancy. The statutory minimums are just that, a minimum.
            the NHS pay a month for every year.

I'd be asking the accountant preceisly why he thinks it can't be done. If it's about risk then the OP has a right to know. If it is actually a limit then likewise the OP has a right to know.

My gut tells me that it's not wise, so I understand where the accountant might be coming from, but a business should make decisions based on facts.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Does she really have a contract of employment... I'll bet not. Did you make her a director? Is she a shareholder?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 13 March 2020, 13:37.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                pretty much this.
                There is no limit on what you can offer as redundancy. The statutory minimums are just that, a minimum.
                the NHS pay a month for every year.

I'd be asking the accountant preceisly why he thinks it can't be done. If it's about risk then the OP has a right to know. If it is actually a limit then likewise the OP has a right to know.

My gut tells me that it's not wise, so I understand where the accountant might be coming from, but a business should make decisions based on facts.
                Nope. Statutory redundancy payments arent minimums or maximums, tax free amount excepted.

These are statutory ie as covered by statute, what employees are entitled to under employment law when they become redundant.

Paying pretty much what you want or 'no limit what can be offered as redundancy' isnt a statutory redundancy payment. What is described there is termed a 'golden handshake' and is where the employer pays over and above what the redundant employee is entitled to as per the statutory redundancy scheme or, as a 'good riddance' payment to get rid of a troublesome employee or as settlement for not taking an employment dispute to tribunal.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Nope. Statutory redundancy payments arent minimums or maximums, tax free amount excepted.

These are statutory ie as covered by statute, what employees are entitled to under employment law when they become redundant.

Paying pretty much what you want or 'no limit what can be offered as redundancy' isnt a statutory redundancy payment. What is described there is termed a 'golden handshake' and is where the employer pays over and above what the redundant employee is entitled to as per the statutory redundancy scheme or, as a 'good riddance' payment to get rid of a troublesome employee or as settlement for not taking an employment dispute to tribunal.
                  cobblers.

When I left the NHS I was paid well above statutory minimum (approx eight times higher if I recall). Nothing to do with golden anything. Nothing exceptional. No toruble. No threat of dispute. Just NHS standard terms.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If a redundancy isn't handled correctly she could lay the foundation for an unfair dismissal claim, in which case you would be in a position to come to a settlement agreement...

Comment

Working...
                    X