• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business account with Tide, Cashplus, Revolut etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business account with Tide, Cashplus, Revolut etc

Hi all,

I know some of you are using the e-money service companies for business accounts. These are not banks. They claim they keep your money in safeguarded accounts (whatever that means) and it is not at risk.
    What do you think about that? You recon this is good enough to keep your LTD's money safe or we should stick to FSCS banks?

Don't use Revolut.

Use Starling, real bank.

Comment

Anyone not using an FSCS scheme in these times must need their heads examining.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm using Starling but bank balance currently exceeds the FSCS protection limits - might be worth signing up for a Monzo business account too I think.

Edit - well that was easy. Took less than 5 minutes.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 18 March 2020, 11:28.

Comment

Starling and Monzo are real banks. I highly recommend both of them.

Comment

Revolut is great for what it does, but I would not feel safe using it for a high value business account.

Natwest wrote to me yesterday saying they are abolishing the £5 a month charge, and going forward will only charge for each transaction. So I expect this to be very cheap for most contractors, and probably other banks to follow.

Whether High Street banks will survive Corona is another topic though!

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Revolut is great for what it does, but I would not feel safe using it for a high value business account.

Natwest wrote to me yesterday saying they are abolishing the £5 a month charge, and going forward will only charge for each transaction. So I expect this to be very cheap for most contractors, and probably other banks to follow.

Whether High Street banks will survive Corona is another topic though!
              Throw in the free FreeAgent account and it's unbeatable?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                Still don't understand why anyone would pay a per-transaction charge when there are better free alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                  Still don't understand why anyone would pay a per-transaction charge when there are better free alternatives.
                  Because you get a free FreeAgent account?
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Throw in the free FreeAgent account and it's unbeatable?
                    Yes, I got that, and have to say its pretty sweet. Because I've been checking my accounts for years, I feel confident enough to do without an accountant because of FreeAgent. Previously I used Crunch, which was the same really, just with very poor accounting help, and very slow end of year procedures.

Comment

Working...
                    X