• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching Agency after Initial Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with Agent #1 end of.

Everything else ends in tears / not happening.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
      Stick with Agent #1 end of.

Everything else ends in tears / not happening.
      It already did. Did you miss his update 2 posts up?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hanzoo88 View Post
        Is it possible to switch agency after 1st stage of interview has progressed?

Context:
        1- Agency#1 initially approached me and got interview arranged (last week - Thursday). Interview went really well and I am fairly confident that client wants to go ahead with me. During interview I informed Client that I am struggling with pressure from my current employer to accept permanent offer, to which they assured that they would come back sooner on feedback

2- Tuesday, Agency#1 came back and informed that they are struggling to get feedback. However, I'd be interviewed by one more person. Not much contact or update after that

3- Yesterday (Thursday - 1 week after 1st interview) another recruiter from Agency#2 (who happens to be close friend of hiring manager) approached me to offer more quicker response. But wants me to deal with him and he would deal with Agency#1. Obviously the rate is lower than what Agency#1 is offering. Due to my situation with current employer, I said yes.

Question (thinking retrospectively):
        1- Is there any legal challenge by switching agency? I checked all emails from Agency#1 there are no exclusivity agreement to stick with them during this process. I understand, however, there is ethical principle issue

2- Agency#2 seems to be helping, but it is taking a good cut of the offer from Agency#1 (£100-£150) per day. Money is not much of problem problem but also the face the recruiter and agency is not well known. So not sure if they will be able to keep up with payments. Any idea how to do further background checks?
        Why?
        Agency #2 more greedy than Agency #1?
        Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

I am afraid that exactly what has happened. I guess desperation made me too naive to think Agent2 could help. According to him he got feedback from HM, which was positive. But, in his words, hiring manager told him to go through Agency1. He contacted Agency1 and was hoping that Agency1 would contact me to confirm transition

I got call from Agency1 that position had been filled by someone better and that client now wished to consider me for another role since they still like my skills. I doubt that was true and Agency1 just wanted to ease on bad news on Friday afternoon

Devastated and wondering how could someone sleep at night by ruining someone's chance like this. I almost had position in my pocket.

Thinking to honestly approach Agency1 and admit my mistake. Even if they don't offer me other position, at least I want to make my conscience clear. I have job so not very desperate to move. But it would have been huge step up for me.

I should have come here a day sooner to ask for advice
          You learnt a harsh lesson the hard way. And that lesson is, a bird in the hand......
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I am afraid that exactly what has happened. I guess desperation made me too naive to think Agent2 could help. According to him he got feedback from HM, which was positive. But, in his words, hiring manager told him to go through Agency1. He contacted Agency1 and was hoping that Agency1 would contact me to confirm transition

I got call from Agency1 that position had been filled by someone better and that client now wished to consider me for another role since they still like my skills. I doubt that was true and Agency1 just wanted to ease on bad news on Friday afternoon

Devastated and wondering how could someone sleep at night by ruining someone's chance like this. I almost had position in my pocket.

Thinking to honestly approach Agency1 and admit my mistake. Even if they don't offer me other position, at least I want to make my conscience clear. I have job so not very desperate to move. But it would have been huge step up for me.

I should have come here a day sooner to ask for advice
            Basic mistake and lesson 1: Agents don't care about you. They care about their commission. You're a commodity to sell like a can of beans is to a retailer. They don't care who buys it or which can of beans they buy.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It already did. Did you miss his update 2 posts up?
              I did miss it. I just answer the OP questions here, generally everything else in the middle won’t be as informed as my answer ;-)
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
              X