• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching Agency after Initial Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Agency after Initial Interview

Is it possible to switch agency after 1st stage of interview has progressed?

Context:
    1- Agency#1 initially approached me and got interview arranged (last week - Thursday). Interview went really well and I am fairly confident that client wants to go ahead with me. During interview I informed Client that I am struggling with pressure from my current employer to accept permanent offer, to which they assured that they would come back sooner on feedback

2- Tuesday, Agency#1 came back and informed that they are struggling to get feedback. However, I'd be interviewed by one more person. Not much contact or update after that

3- Yesterday (Thursday - 1 week after 1st interview) another recruiter from Agency#2 (who happens to be close friend of hiring manager) approached me to offer more quicker response. But wants me to deal with him and he would deal with Agency#1. Obviously the rate is lower than what Agency#1 is offering. Due to my situation with current employer, I said yes.

Question (thinking retrospectively):
    1- Is there any legal challenge by switching agency? I checked all emails from Agency#1 there are no exclusivity agreement to stick with them during this process. I understand, however, there is ethical principle issue

2- Agency#2 seems to be helping, but it is taking a good cut of the offer from Agency#1 (£100-£150) per day. Money is not much of problem problem but also the face the recruiter and agency is not well known. So not sure if they will be able to keep up with payments. Any idea how to do further background checks?

I would have accepted your employer's permanent offer.

Other than that, just send an email to Agent 1 telling them that you no longer want the contract and go with Agent 2.

To check them, look through Companies House for the Agency name to see their accounts and whether they are insolvent.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I would have accepted your employer's permanent offer.

Other than that, just send an email to Agent 1 telling them that you no longer want the contract and go with Agent 2.

To check them, look through Companies House for the Agency name to see their accounts and whether they are insolvent.
      Thank you Cojak. I don't want to accept permanent offer as I want to move to different company and don't want to trouble HR. Also, permanent offer is much lower than current contract rate and since there is no IR35 (current employer was planning to enforce IR35 on all contractors without assessments), I'd rather continue as contractor. Permanent discussion only started after company's decision to covert every contractor to inside-IR35

Comment

If I read that right you're happy to give up 100 150 a day just to stick another agency in the chain to secure a fast reply?

a) sounds like bollocks from agency 2 that he knows the HM
        b) if he does it sounds incredibly dodgy and almost like the HM is in on it and taking a kick back.

Comment

Originally posted by hanzoo88 View Post
          who happens to be close friend of hiring manager
          Then why weren't agency #2 the exclusive preferred Agency for this role?
          Sounds like a bulltuliper and you are getting scammed into a lower rate by collusion between two agency buddies.
          You are willing to sacrifice £150 a day for Agency #2 to make one phone call to expedite the hiring process?
          Last edited by crack_ho; 20 March 2020, 08:22.

Comment

@cojak: I don't want to become permanent as I really want to move to better role (this is what I enjoy about contracting). Thanks for advice though. I checked company house. Company is registered with same person who called me. His profile is what he described.

@Guesstimator: Apologies, let me clarify. Agent#2 was actually a colleague of HM (from his description and LinkedIn profile) and has setup his own company recently. From Agent#2 claim, he was contacted directly by HM to find a person. I guess I was found by Agency#1 before Agent#2 found me.
            There is bit of benefit to HM in terms of reduced cost and to Agent#2 since he is gaining business probably me as first placement in big company

@crack_ho: trust me, I am having thoughts about it too, hence this post. With much pressure on my back from current employer, this seemed like only option to expedite process and get feedback.

Comment

If i was a betting man I'd put money on the fact that if you go with agent 2 you will end up with nothing. Agent 1 will kick up a massive fuss which will delay things even further for you and it's likely the client will just give up and go for the second place candidate. This is exactly what happened to me.

The second agent is just spinning you whatever crap he needs to to steal the money without a consideration for you, agent 1 or the client. Typical poor agency behaviour...

Sounds like agency 2 has absolutely nothing behind him. Sounds like a proper dodgy setup to me that. If he's just started he'll have little to no money behind him to factor your money. They will pay you before they get their money from the client so IMO your pay is at massive risk. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Some guy just chancing it.

Is this gig outside IR35? Is it a role that had a determination done at anytime? Were any of the other contractors determined or blanketed?

I don't want to become permanent as I really want to move to better role (this is what I enjoy about contracting).
              This doesn't compute. As a contractor you have to take whatever is on the table. We have a saying that the second gig is the hardest to get. You found this one while comfortable at your desk getting paid. When this one ends, which could be in reception on the first day, you have no income and don't have a choice of which gig you can take. Believe me there are some crappy gigs out there as well. Job satisfaction is really not on the list of why we go contracting.
              You can look for better roles as a permie as well you know.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Tell client 1 you are happy to continue as contractor

Agent2 is a chancing bastued

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  If i was a betting man I'd put money on the fact that if you go with agent 2 you will end up with nothing.
                  I am afraid that exactly what has happened. I guess desperation made me too naive to think Agent2 could help. According to him he got feedback from HM, which was positive. But, in his words, hiring manager told him to go through Agency1. He contacted Agency1 and was hoping that Agency1 would contact me to confirm transition

I got call from Agency1 that position had been filled by someone better and that client now wished to consider me for another role since they still like my skills. I doubt that was true and Agency1 just wanted to ease on bad news on Friday afternoon

Devastated and wondering how could someone sleep at night by ruining someone's chance like this. I almost had position in my pocket.

Thinking to honestly approach Agency1 and admit my mistake. Even if they don't offer me other position, at least I want to make my conscience clear. I have job so not very desperate to move. But it would have been huge step up for me.

I should have come here a day sooner to ask for advice

Comment

Whole thing just sounds like a mess.
                    You need some self respect. Don't let people screw you like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X