• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government packages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what does this mean in practicality?

I would suggest

* work from home allowance is out (thought I'd mention it as many habitually claim this)
    * what about applying for roles?
    * does furlough stop if you attend an interview?

Or is it a case of no clients = furloughed in this special case only?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

[QUOTE=PerfectStorm;2751171]
      * work from home allowance is out (thought I'd mention it as many habitually claim this)
      Why on earth would you think that? That is for securing work premises for your company. Nothing to do with employment.
      * what about applying for roles?
      * does furlough stop if you attend an interview?

Or is it a case of no clients = furloughed in this special case only?
      IMO opion the job of a contractor is to first win work and then do it. So any kind of hunting for a gig is you getting on with your job so not furloughed.

I can see an argument for it being any revenue generating work but if you think like a business you are a salesman, HR, recruitment manager and well as an IT bod. Carrying any of those activities out is carrying on with business IMO.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 28 March 2020, 12:02.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Why on earth would you think that? That is for securing work premises for your company. Nothing to do with employment.

IMO opion the job of a contractor is to first win work and then do it. So any kind of hunting for a gig is you getting on with your job so not furloughed.

I can see an argument for it being any revenue generating work but if you think like a business you are a salesman, HR, recruitment manager and well as an IT bod. Carrying any of those activities out is carrying on with business IMO.
        I would argue that any contract is won by the individual who, upon winning the work, can then decide whether to use their limited company or work via say an umbrella company. After all it's only after you've seen the client and the terms and conditions offered can you decide the most appropriate method of working based on the IR35 situation.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I would argue that any contract is won by the individual who, upon winning the work, can then decide whether to use their limited company or work via say an umbrella company. After all it's only after you've seen the client and the terms and conditions offered can you decide the most appropriate method of working based on the IR35 situation.
          An interesting view. I was thinking in theory if the business expands it would require other people to do that work so IMO they are distinct business activities all rolling up to make the consultancy.

Depends if you see yourself as a business or a sole trader just using a tax vehicle I guess so could be a very valid point.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            An interesting view. I was thinking in theory if the business expands it would require other people to do that work so IMO they are distinct business activities all rolling up to make the consultancy.

Depends if you see yourself as a business or a sole trader just using a tax vehicle I guess so could be a very valid point.
            It's ironic we are having this argument as I don't think I could furlough myself even if I wanted to (there is a pile of GCloud and website stuff I need to do) while you (if you weren't working) easily could.

Comment

You also need to be out of work because of coronavirus, though I doubt it's more than ticking a box, so an email from your client confirming this would be useful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Petition on Change.org

Support for Owners / Directors of their own Limited Companies from UK Government: COVID-19

Petition . Support for Owners / Directors of their own Limited Companies from UK Government: COVID-19 . Change.org

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                  Petition on Change.org

Support for Owners / Directors of their own Limited Companies from UK Government: COVID-19

Petition . Support for Owners / Directors of their own Limited Companies from UK Government: COVID-19 . Change.org
                  Stupid petition.

Comment

Is this different from the midget one?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Is this different from the midget one?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      it’s the same one

Comment

Working...