• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using my wife's contracting company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I don't recall anything in the Arctic ruling that says man and wife cannot share in the proceeds of their joint limited company, especially if the shares are purchased rather than gifted (although that is a minor point anyway). It's not like the situation has arisen as a result of any kind of planned action, more a combination of circumstances and is defensible if it were challenged on that basis.

Or, as the OP suggested, take a minimum salary as an employee and no shares or dividends. Not tax efficient, but let's make sure the tax tail is wagging the business dog. Then again, if the OP was not concerned about tax efficiency, he wouldn't be chasing outside IR35 work in the first place.

However if it is at all a concern, then simply start a new company in isolation, stay working through an umbrella, or go permanent.
    You have failed to address my central point: how is what you suggest above, and out of the reach of, TAAR?

You do this ALL the bloody time. Stop trying to be correct on a technicality and show where I am wrong. You have not done so and you are misleading the poster with your "advice".
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      I don't recall anything in the Arctic ruling that says man and wife cannot share in the proceeds of their joint limited company, especially if the shares are purchased rather than gifted (although that is a minor point anyway). It's not like the situation has arisen as a result of any kind of planned action, more a combination of circumstances and is defensible if it were challenged on that basis.

Or, as the OP suggested, take a minimum salary as an employee and no shares or dividends. Not tax efficient, but let's make sure the tax tail is wagging the business dog. Then again, if the OP was not concerned about tax efficiency, he wouldn't be chasing outside IR35 work in the first place.

However if it is at all a concern, then simply start a new company in isolation, stay working through an umbrella, or go permanent.
      The person asking the question MVLed his company and it's the MVL side of things that would be the issue nothing to do with anything else.

Did the Arctic case and judgment explicitly cover the MVLing of companies? As if not that is a hell of an option (with a big bonus pot) to play with....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks, all interesting points. It's definitely a case of circumstances dictating at the moment. Without Covid my umbrella contract was set to run for years, hence the closure of the Ltd. Had no desire or need to return to Ltd ways.

Probably applied for 300 odd perm/umbrella jobs recently and barely got a single response back, my network is pretty small so I'm getting lumped in with 1,000 other applicants.

The lead on the outside IR35 job seemed legit so it's obviously something I don't want to miss out on. I wouldn't look to take any dividends at all from the wife's account to me personally, to be honest I wouldn't even need to take a small salary, as long as the money is technically coming in to 'the house' as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          You have failed to address my central point: how is what you suggest above, and out of the reach of, TAAR?

You do this ALL the bloody time. Stop trying to be correct on a technicality and show where I am wrong. You have not done so and you are misleading the poster with your "advice".
          The MVL is not all that relevant - IMVHO of course - since the OP can demonstrate a good reason for closing the original company and a good reason for wanting to work through a Ltd Co once more. It would be very hard to demonstrate that their actions are in scope of TAAR: the well known test of reasonableness would surely apply. And since he is willing to forego an income and dividends, it would be hard to prove any intent to defraud HMRC.

It will be interesting to see how his accountant advises as to the best way forward...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post
            ...The lead on the outside IR35 job seemed legit so it's obviously something I don't want to miss out on. I wouldn't look to take any dividends at all from the wife's account to me personally, to be honest I wouldn't even need to take a small salary, as long as the money is technically coming in to 'the house' as it were.
            ^^ And this is where I think you should be careful. You may fall foul of the TAAR for MVL/ER as a beneficiary of the income from this work. I don't know for sure, but I would recommend that you take professional advice on this point before deciding what to do.

-- Edit ---

Of course, the risk is only as much as the money taken out of the company during the MVL; could be substantial, could FA.
            Last edited by wattaj; 5 November 2020, 15:17. Reason: Clarity.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

^^ And this is where I think you should be careful. You may fall foul of the TAAR for MVL/ER as a beneficiary of the income from this work. I don't know for sure, but I would recommend that you take professional advice on this point before deciding what to do.
              +1 - I personally think it would be safer to either (attempt to) create a new company if you get the contract rather than using your wife's company or just continuing to work via an umbrella company.

After all you can provide a valid reason for starting your business again - I went permanent and the work dried up so had no choice but to start again.

Using your wife's pre-existing company would allow HMRC to open up a whole heap of questions that I suspect you would have great difficulty answering in ways that both of the other options outlined above would avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                +1 - I personally think it would be safer to either (attempt to) create a new company if you get the contract rather than using your wife's company or just continuing to work via an umbrella company.

After all you can provide a valid reason for starting your business again - I went permanent and the work dried up so had no choice but to start again.

Using your wife's pre-existing company would allow HMRC to open up a whole heap of questions that I suspect you would have great difficulty answering in ways that both of the other options outlined above would avoid.
                Not sure if Ltd for 10 years - Umbrella March '20 to September - September to November unemployed is a valid reason to start a new company?

-- Edit ---

Of course, the risk is only as much as the money taken out of the company during the MVL; could be substantial, could FA.
                I mean it definitely comes under TAAR using the wording, however I imagine proving anti-avoidance over enforced avoidance is the difficult one.

Assume it's too soon at the moment that there are any Covid related exceptions to the rule.

Comment

Not sure if Ltd for 10 years - Umbrella March '20 to September - September to November unemployed is a valid reason to start a new company?

I mean it definitely comes under TAAR using the wording, however I imagine proving anti-avoidance over enforced avoidance is the difficult one.

Assume it's too soon at the moment that there are any Covid related exceptions to the rule.
                  I think you would have a better chance arguing unemployed after a failed attempt to go permanent led to starting again then using your wife’s company.

put it this way - i would not be using my wife’s company in your circumstances - I would be explicitly starting again or using an umbrella - using your wife’s company is just too tempting for HMRC to create a test case with

Comment

Thanks, all interesting points. It's definitely a case of circumstances dictating at the moment. Without Covid my umbrella contract was set to run for years, hence the closure of the Ltd. Had no desire or need to return to Ltd ways.
                    But you don't know that. Closing the company certainly wasn't the best decision and you are stuck with it now I am afraid. If it helps you most certainly won't be the only one. It's going to be the hot topic on here for the next few years judging by the number of 'MVL my company' posts we've had since before the April changes that weren't changes. We are getting them even now and on every one we point out that this could happen.
                    The lead on the outside IR35 job seemed legit so it's obviously something I don't want to miss out on. I wouldn't look to take any dividends at all from the wife's account to me personally, to be honest I wouldn't even need to take a small salary, as long as the money is technically coming in to 'the house' as it were.
                    Which is exactly why it's aggressive avoidance and won't stand up to any scrutiny.

No it isn't. It looks like you've gained a tax advantage, taken a break and come back for more of the same. People have been doing exactly this hence the change in legislation.
                    So you know you shouldn't do it but you think you migth because you'll get away with it? It's not difficult IMO. When they get you you'll be royally screwed and it won't be difficult to spot you. Just depends how lucky you feel I guess.
                    Nope and there won't be IMO. Infact.. the only difference might be, with a massive and ever widing hole in the coffers HMRC will start clawing the money back somewhere so why not start with people that they think owe tax? If we thought they would be on the ball at the IR35 change I can't imagine how hard they are going to come after it in April when it does hit. Gov skint, free money sitting there. Just guessing but that's what I'd do if I had no money.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 November 2020, 20:33.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X