• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Supervision, Direction, or Control" vs contractual law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Supervision, Direction, or Control" vs contractual law

Hi,

I believe as a ltd company contractor outside IR35, I am obliged to not carry out tasks that would breach "Supervision, Direction and Control" arrangements.

If I am being required to implement technologies that I have stated I do not want to work with, would I be within my rights to walk without working the contractual notice-period, citing that to do so would risk breaching the IR35 statute? I am aware the existence of a notice period (which is the same length for both parties) is an IR35 no-no but let's treat that as a separate matter for the moment. You may also think now is not the best time to be out of contract, but let's assume these are normal times (and you have no idea how awful the stuff is they are asking me to do is).

Many thanks

So your client has a technology standard and you're refusing to use it and put in something that doesn't meet their strategic technology requirements?

Comment

Not really. They ask you to do something and you say you can't but if you want to draw up another contract covering deliverables of the new task I'll be happy to provide my services.

Do not want to and awful? Are you sure these are not in the remit of the original contract and you just want to flounce? Or is it clearly a new piece of work? If it truly is new you can refuse to do it but I'd have thought they would have either backed down or walked you well before you get the chance.

If they think they can give you this work as they see fit then I'd question your original assumption you are outside. The client wants to have SDC over you then the contract is inside. The fact you have to fight this off doesn't make you outside.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 27 March 2020, 14:21.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jolly fellopian View Post
        Hi,

I believe as a ltd company contractor outside IR35, I am obliged to not carry out tasks that would breach "Supervision, Direction and Control" arrangements.

If I am being required to implement technologies that I have stated I do not want to work with, would I be within my rights to walk without working the contractual notice-period, citing that to do so would risk breaching the IR35 statute? I am aware the existence of a notice period (which is the same length for both parties) is an IR35 no-no but let's treat that as a separate matter for the moment. You may also think now is not the best time to be out of contract, but let's assume these are normal times (and you have no idea how awful the stuff is they are asking me to do is).

Many thanks
        Agree with what the others have said but also draw your attention to the highlighted bit.
        Your IR35 status has got sweet f*** all to do with your client. If you want to flounce then simply say it's not part of your contracted deliverables and on that basis not something you will be able to do under the current contract.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks
          I take it you have another contract lined up at a better rate and looking for an escape plan ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            I take it you have another contract lined up at a better rate and looking for an escape plan ?

Either this or fully story please.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

You'd better. It's no joke being on the bench these days. I miss the days of simply worrying because the pimps weren't calling. Now the pimps aren't calling, the whole family is at home all day and there's a zombie apocalypse outside.
              Seriously, do whatever the hell the client asks as long as you can keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by 16northernladuk View Post
                Are you sure these are not in the remit of the original contract
                It could be construed as within the services I am contractually obliged to provide. But my contract also states no supervision, direction or control by the client. They are specifying how I deliver. They hired me for my expertise, not to deliver crap work. I've got better things to be doing with my time, paid or unpaid.

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Your IR35 status has got sweet f*** all to do with your client..
                Fair enough, but do you think they are breaching the SDC term and hence I have grounds to walk (no notice)?

Comment

It could be construed as within the services I am contractually obliged to provide. But my contract also states no supervision, direction or control by the client. They are specifying how I deliver. They hired me for my expertise, not to deliver crap work. I've got better things to be doing with my time, paid or unpaid.

Fair enough, but do you think they are breaching the SDC term and hence I have grounds to walk (no notice)?
                  So they want to use MS Access and you want to use a proper database, or something similar?

Or is it a methodology issue?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Unless you have something else lined up i would just continue on with the work. It's not really the time to go out to the market. Probably the worst time it's been for a while. Any postings for contracts you see right now are most likely fake, I wouldn't trust that there are any live contract jobs right now.

I don't really get why you would be unwilling to work with certain technologies. This has never been an issue with me. I clearly and accurately state for the client what I am competent with, if they want me to carry out work in another technology I would clearly state I do not have knowledge or competency in that area. If they insist then I would still deliver the product using that technology it would just mean me taking an extra few days, weeks, or rarely months to deliver whatever it is. As long as you have been up front with the client the entire time and they are willing to keep giving you work knowing you will deliver at a slower pace I really don't see the issue.

With regards to the whole IR35 crap. Real consultancies take contracts with work outside the capabilities of their consultants all the freaking time. They expect the consultants to learn on the job and all that time spent learning new technologies is billable.

If this is an issue with you just not wanting to deal with outdated legacy software or technology that just isn't suited for the purpose your client wants to use it for. I still think you should just suck it up, it's just not the time to be out of a contract right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X