• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amount of dividend versus profits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Possibly because in a previous thread he said he didn't need an accountant and he could do it all himself.

Hence my post about making sure there's still money in the pot. I fear he doesn't understand the difference between income and profit.

I would say that 98% of the people on this fiorum know that, and 99% of those have an accountant anyway.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Ohh it's that guy. Christ.. he can't even work this one out? I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a hell of a lot of this poster
      Haha, yes it's that guy

Why would I need an accountant when I've got you lot on this forum, eh?!

Being serious - yes I do get it. Well, the basics anyway. I've stopped paying myself the usual salary as I haven't been earning recently, and didn't want to have to submit my accounts with a loss (because that would have been more complex than I wanted, as I'm doing it myself).

And I haven't got an accountant because my last one was just useless and caused me all sorts of stress and problems - so I just decided to learn how to do it myself for the time being. I figure that my situation is incredibly simple, and if I keep it that way, then all should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by GezHells View Post
        Haha, yes it's that guy

Why would I need an accountant when I've got you lot on this forum, eh?!

Being serious - yes I do get it. Well, the basics anyway. I've stopped paying myself the usual salary as I haven't been earning recently, and didn't want to have to submit my accounts with a loss (because that would have been more complex than I wanted, as I'm doing it myself).

And I haven't got an accountant because my last one was just useless and caused me all sorts of stress and problems - so I just decided to learn how to do it myself for the time being. I figure that my situation is incredibly simple, and if I keep it that way, then all should be good.
        Salary and revenue are unrelated.

Your monthly salary is better continuing because it's a salary and is straight out of company funds, not company profit.

50k cash in bank at start of year.
        10k contract then canned
        12.5k salary drawn across the year is still fine - you have enough in the company to pay it and it's the most tax efficient way of getting your cash out of the company, assuming the standard 1250L tax code applies.

A company operates on anyone bringing revenue into it; you're still thinking like a permie.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I figure that my situation is incredibly simple, and if I keep it that way, then all should be good.
          Famous last words....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Salary and revenue are unrelated.

Your monthly salary is better continuing because it's a salary and is straight out of company funds, not company profit.

50k cash in bank at start of year.
            10k contract then canned
            12.5k salary drawn across the year is still fine - you have enough in the company to pay it and it's the most tax efficient way of getting your cash out of the company, assuming the standard 1250L tax code applies.

A company operates on anyone bringing revenue into it; you're still thinking like a permie.
            What about when I file my accounts? That seems to operate on a simple profit and loss principle... if my outgoings (i.e. my salary) is greater than my earnings for the year, then it records a loss. Which, I assume, makes the accounting more complex, and hence I'm trying to avoid.

Comment

What about when I file my accounts? That seems to operate on a simple profit and loss principle... if my outgoings (i.e. my salary) is greater than my earnings for the year, then it records a loss. Which, I assume, makes the accounting more complex, and hence I'm trying to avoid.

And how much money have you got in your company bank account?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Really, this is very basic accounting stuff. If its beyond you, get an accountant - they'll most likely save you more in tax (CT and more efficient use of your personal tax allowances) than you're spending on them.

Comment

You can take out more salary and record a loss for the year. Not sure why you'd look at taking a 4k salary and 6k divis from a 10k revenue when you could take 12.5k salary and stand the loss from retained profit from earlier years.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    You can take out more salary and record a loss for the year. Not sure why you'd look at taking a 4k salary and 6k divis from a 10k revenue when you could take 12.5k salary and stand the loss from retained profit from earlier years.
                    back of a fag packet says that this mistake has cost £1,200... Which is around the same, tending on just a bit higher, than an accountant would cost........ Oddly enough.....
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      back of a fag packet says that this mistake has cost £1,200... Which is around the same, tending on just a bit higher, than an accountant would cost........ Oddly enough.....

I always felt that it was in my company's best interest to engage an accountant, just because they're paid to minimise my tax bill in ways that I'm not aware of and shouldn't care about so long as it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X