• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amount of dividend versus profits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've used the word assume twice. Not a something you'd expect from someone capable of doing their accounts.

Get an accountant.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      back of a fag packet says that this mistake has cost £1,200... Which is around the same, tending on just a bit higher, than an accountant would cost........ Oddly enough.....
      Ok, please humour me - tell me why you think this is going to cost me? My combined salary and dividend will still be below the personal allowance level (plus the 2k tax free dividend). The only difference is I'm taking less salary than usual. So it's roughly 4k salary and 10k dividend, rather than 8k salary and 6k dividend.

Comment

Originally posted by GezHells View Post
        Ok, please humour me - tell me why you think this is going to cost me? My combined salary and dividend will still be below the personal allowance level (plus the 2k tax free dividend). The only difference is I'm taking less salary than usual. So it's roughly 4k salary and 10k dividend, rather than 8k salary and 6k dividend.
        It's not an absolute cost to you, but an opportunity cost. ie. you could have extracted more £s from the company efficiently, paying no tax. Instead, you PSC will pay CT on a larger amount, and you'll pay 7.5% (or 32.5%) if you later extract those funds via dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          It's not an absolute cost to you, but an opportunity cost. ie. you could have extracted more £s from the company efficiently, paying no tax. Instead, you PSC will pay CT on a larger amount, and you'll pay 7.5% (or 32.5%) if you later extract those funds via dividends.
          Ok, thanks. But for this year in question, there were very little earnings, so the CT will be minimal anyway.

The only point I was checking was that there was no immediate tax implications from taking the higher dividend (but still below the personal allowance).

Comment

Ok, thanks. But for this year in question, there were very little earnings, so the CT will be minimal anyway.

The only point I was checking was that there was no immediate tax implications from taking the higher dividend (but still below the personal allowance).

Why not take it as salary?
            And you've still not mentioned if you actually have the funds to pay all your bills - VAT, CT, etc.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Speak to your accountant about carry back/carry forward options on any CT losses. Oh, wait, you don't have one.

Alternatively, you can always ask random people on the internet and hope they give you the right answer.

No there should not be, but this is not advice, and you have to make your own decision.

Comment

If you don't show a profit, you don't make Corp Tax payments and can offset losses against future periods.

Basic reading is here: Work out and claim relief from Corporation Tax trading losses - GOV.UK
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Accountants don't have secret or hard to find knowledge. All tax code/legislation is publicly and readily available online. Most of us can find our own answer to our questions and yet we still all have an accountant.

What does it say about yourself that you can't even be bothered (or maybe lack the skill) to even look up the most basic accounting principles which are clearly outlined in HMRC public guidance
                  Running a limited company: Taking money out of a limited company - GOV.UK and yet you still are trying to do your own accounting?

You need to stop. You're going to wind up with back tax, fines and potentially a fraud charge if you continue down this path.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Accountants don't have secret or hard to find knowledge. All tax code/legislation is publicly and readily available online. Most of us can find our own answer to our questions and yet we still all have an accountant.

What does it say about yourself that you can't even be bothered (or maybe lack the skill) to even look up the most basic accounting principles which are clearly outlined in HMRC public guidance
                    Running a limited company: Taking money out of a limited company - GOV.UK and yet you still are trying to do your own accounting?

You need to stop. You're going to wind up with back tax, fines and potentially a fraud charge if you continue down this path.
                    Or at best losing out on thousands of pounds by making the wrong, albeit legal, decisions.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

the dividend you seem really keen to take will have had 19% CT paid before you can take it.

Some sums. Nice and simple ones
                      £10k in company. Take £4k as salary. No tax to pay on any of that.
                      The £6k that's left attracts £1,140 CT. So you now have £4860 you can take as dividends.
                      The dividend attracts 7.5% tax on £2860, whioch is £214.50.
                      Leaving £8645.50 in your pocket.

Or....
                      £10k in company. Take £8k as salary. Still no tax.
                      £2k profit attracts £380 CT. That leaves £1620 for dividends.
                      You now have £9620 in your pocket.

That's around about £1,000 more in your pocket by knowing what you're doing.
                      Last edited by Lance; 1 April 2020, 11:02.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X