• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS alternative for contract reviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDOS alternative for contract reviews

Can anyone provide a recommendation for a contract review service please? (I've already searched the forum for options, now I'd like some feedback

Currently with QDOS, but am less than satisfied with their recent performance - not just the review turnaround going from NBD, to two weeks, now three. The last review I had them do came back with the usual "change the substitution clause" recommendation, and once I had then got the agent to explain it to them, they then passed it through with no changes.

A few others I've found on here:

The Law Place
    Markel Tax
    Bauer & Cottrell

The Law Place one looked interesting as they also will do a combined IR35 & commercial terms review.

I had a look at IR35 Shield but didn't quite get it - so I have to interpret the contract and feed my unskilled interpretation into their questions ?

So, recommendations please

I've used Bauer and Cottrell a lot in the past. I remember them, several years ago now, being great at talking directly to the agency to get clauses changed. Not sure if they still do that.

Used Markel Tax more recently and they were ok, nothing too special. I find it annoying that they heavily caveat their assessments if you don't supply working practises details. I just don't get how a theoretical review before you've spent any time with the client is worth anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I've used Bauer and Cottrell a lot in the past. I remember them, several years ago now, being great at talking directly to the agency to get clauses changed. Not sure if they still do that.

Used Markel Tax more recently and they were ok, nothing too special. I find it annoying that they heavily caveat their assessments if you don't supply working practises details. I just don't get how a theoretical review before you've spent any time with the client is worth anything.
      Thanks for that. I agree with the working practices bit, having done that with QDOS before.

Comment

I have previously used Larsen Howie following a referral from my accountant. They were very good and reasonably priced. They offer a few different IR35 services to cater to what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

QDOS must trick hundreds of customers who buy the higher priced product that includes the working praises review, rather than the lower priced one which is otherwise the same but doesn't include it
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            QDOS must trick hundreds of customers who buy the higher priced product that includes the working praises review, rather than the lower priced one which is otherwise the same but doesn't include it
            With Markel (via IPSE) it was included in the cost but they'd do the assessment - for the same price - without the WP assessment but then caveat their thoughts even more heavily

Having tried a few others over the past couple of contracts, I think I'll go back to B&C for the next one (assuming I'm not on my last ever gig )

Comment

Working...
            X