• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In what order income is taxed: Salary,Interest,Dividend,CapitalGain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In what order income is taxed: Salary,Interest,Dividend,CapitalGain

Hello all,

My situation:
    Last day in this tax year left, trying to optimize before SA is locked down, having some excess over expensive threshold tax band and then only available flexibility to bring it down is to fix loss via shareholding (London Stock Exchange), e.g. sell at loss (markets went down recently) and then buy back (but liquidity on the only loss-making positions is terrible, therefore commission+levy+stamp_duty on fourth and back operation might drain 10-20% off current value, therefore increasing loses)..

So the question:
    In what order income tax thresholds are filled for Self Assessment?
    e.g. for marginally crossing 50K tax band threshold scenario, (obviously some allowances are toasted)
    1) PAYE is taxed first (say 15K, net allowance 12.5K, except if above 100K)
    2) Interest (say 2K net 1K allowance)
    3) Dividend (say 20K net 2K allowance)
    4) Capital Gain (say 20K net 12K allowance)

and for marginally crossing 150K+ threshold scenario
    1) PAYE is taxed first (say 15K no allowance)
    2) Interest (say 10K net 0.5K allowance)
    3) Dividend (say 50K net 2K allowance)
    4) Capital Gain (say 80K net 12K allowance)

So in what precedence these elements are ordered? What is taxed first and what last? (what actually falls over into higher band)
    What category will fall into expensive band in 50K scenario and 150K income tax band scenario?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Yuri F; 3 April 2020, 15:52. Reason: allowances

Originally posted by Yuri F View Post
    Hello all,

My situation:
    Last day in this tax year left, trying to optimize before SA is locked down, having some excess over expensive threshold tax band and then only available flexibility to bring it down is to fix loss via shareholding (London Stock Exchange), e.g. sell at loss (markets went down recently) and then buy back (but liquidity on the only loss-making positions is terrible, therefore commission+levy+stamp_duty on fourth and back operation might drain 10-20% off current value, therefore increasing loses)..

So the question:
    In what order income tax thresholds are filled for Self Assessment?
    e.g. for 50K tax band scenario, then another one for 150K scenario (obviously most allowances are toasted)
    1) PAYE is taxed first (say 15K, net allowance 12.5K, except if above 100K)
    2) Interest (say 2K net 1K allowance)
    3) Dividend (say 20K net 2K allowance)
    4) Capital Gain (say 20K net 12K allowance)

and for 150K+ scenario
    1) PAYE is taxed first (say 15K no allowance)
    2) Interest (say 10K net 1K allowance)
    3) Dividend (say 50K net 2K allowance)
    4) Capital Gain (say 80K net 12K allowance)

So in what precedence these elements are ordered? What is taxed first and what last?
    What category will fall into expensive band in 50K scenario and 150K income tax band scenario?

Thank you.
    Capital Gain isn't treated as income unless you are doing something very none standard that means it's income not a capital gain.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

eek - interesting philosophical view
      yet HMRC related questions imply a bit more substantiated answers, in deterministic form..

Anyway, managed to find one position with relatively high liquidity and low spread, so transactional losses were below 1%..
      Turned it around in a middle of trading session just to be safe / avoid risks of higher tax bill..

I suspect capital gain is taxed last, at least with 70-80% confidence, but even if not - other excess anyway was reduced too..

Comment

Capital gains are not income. They are taxed entirely separately.

Dividends are taxed as the top slice of income however it is possible to allocate your tax free personal allowance to income in any way you see fit if doing so will result in a better tax outcome.

Comment

eek - interesting philosophical view
          yet HMRC related questions imply a bit more substantiated answers, in deterministic form..

Anyway, managed to find one position with relatively high liquidity and low spread, so transactional losses were below 1%..
          Turned it around in a middle of trading session just to be safe / avoid risks of higher tax bill..

I suspect capital gain is taxed last, at least with 70-80% confidence, but even if not - other excess anyway was reduced too..
          No it's not philosophical - a capital gain is taxed as a capital gain at the appropriate level which is likely to be 20% (but is 28% on residential property).

If however you trade shares regularly HMRC could and would treat your profits as income which would be taxed at 40% and that's the bit I was getting at in my first post.

The actual rules for working out what to do if you are a basic rate tax payer can be found at Capital Gains Tax: Capital Gains Tax rates - GOV.UK as I visited that to get the current CGT rates.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Capital gains are not income. They are taxed entirely separately.

Dividends are taxed as the top slice of income however it is possible to allocate your tax free personal allowance to income in any way you see fit if doing so will result in a better tax outcome.
            Is the full/correct answer.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting it now, CG is part of SA nonetheless isn't part of IT and is taxed separately on a flat rate (net allowance) independently on IT band.
              Not a day trading, just casual relocation every month, one-two trades during a week on avg, so shouldn't be hit within 40%..

Comment

Did you find out about the CGT matching rules?

Comment

Iliketax - thank you for pointing this out, something I didn't knew, yeah - in this case looks all the hustle was for nothing (transactional loses are minimal anyway) - no gains, no loses.
                  Maximum I could do then - just reserving some amount after the sale for putting into ISA next Monday.
                  Something to keep in mind for next year then.

Comment

Hello all,

My situation:
                    Good old "Bed and Breakfasting" rules

Bed and Breakfast Deal Definition
                    Last edited by Andy Hallett; 4 April 2020, 13:34.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                    X