• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far can you go with company expense? Treadmill?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far can you go with company expense? Treadmill?

Something I would not consider but world has gone to sh*t and the govt care little about us ltd contractors while handing money out to everyone except us.

I am seeing out the rest of my contact working from home and my knees are now playing up due to lack of movements.

So does buying a treadmill constitute company expense for employee's well-being?

I won't bother asking about a conservatory to put it in ....

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Something I would not consider but world has gone to sh*t and the govt care little about us ltd contractors while handing money out to everyone except us.

I am seeing out the rest of my contact working from home and my knees are now playing up due to lack of movements.

So does buying a treadmill constitute company expense for employee's well-being?

No, it doesn't meet the solely for business use criteria that HMRC use.

It's like asking if the LG's new OLED 48" TV is an allowed purchase - it's a monitor but being at home I couldn't justify it. Sat in separate office premises you probably could.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Since it's not related directly to your business activity - HMRC guidance on "benefits in kind" hasn't changed much in this extraordinary environment,
      you will have to pay income tax and NI on such expense.

Therefore it would be much easier (saving on bureaucratic hurdle via excessive form reporting)
      to make regular PAYE (or cheaper way: via Dividend if not in IR35)
      and then make this purchase on your personal account (not business).

Comment

You're allowed to go outside for exercise during the lockdown. Running is free.

Comment

just thought if companies are setting up online therapy sessions for their work from home employees why not. The gain from therapy is not really exclusively for work.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

Back in the day I expensed a company race horse

Ohhh the good old days

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Ohhh the good old days

That's marketing though - which is an entirely different can of worms
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

General please. Nothing professional about this question. Only General allows the type of response this one requires.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Ohhh the good old days

Were you a member of the Royal family in a past life?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Were you a member of the Royle family in a past life?
                    FTFY - Still is...[emoji12]
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X