6 April deadline 6 April deadline - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 28 of 28

Still gathering requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    it's academic now. but....
    why would taking £125 extra in dividends, on top of the presumaby c. £40k you've already taken, have any impact on the cost of your wife's SA?

What have you NOT told us?
    She was recently gifted shares and so she would require a self assessment for the 19/20 tax year to account for the tiny dividend payment.

My accountant would charge for preparing that so it wouldn't be worth it.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by concord View Post
    She was recently gifted shares and so she would require a self assessment for the 19/20 tax year to account for the tiny dividend payment.

My accountant does my SA.
    I do the wife's.
    It's really simple as I simply lift the dividend number from my SA, reduce it to a 1/4 (she has 20%) and stick that in. It takes 15 minutes hence I won't pay the accountant £100 for the privelige.
    See You Next Tuesday

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by concord View Post

A common misconception. If the extra dividends would not result in a tax liability (e.g. they are within any unused personal allowance or the £2k dividend nil-rate band) and she has no other reason to file a tax return then she would have no obligation to notify HMRC or complete a tax return.

Still gathering requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    A common misconception. If the extra dividends would not result in a tax liability (e.g. they are within any unused personal allowance or the £2k dividend nil-rate band) and she has no other reason to file a tax return then she would have no obligation to notify HMRC or complete a tax return.
    I did think about that but it was late. Even if it wasn't the case, I would have had a long time to figure out how to submit her self assessment.

Lesson learned.

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PK2 View Post
    Going to follow up with my accountant but really worried I've screwed something up now
    Thanks everyone!

I got hold of my accountant after 6 April and he reassured me that all the dividends I declare are meant to be interim anyway, as it's a more flexible approach (and that final dividends would not be in respect to 6 Apr anyway, but rather to the company's yearend date).

That automatically solves my next issue of declaring a dividend twice in a row.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by PK2 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I got hold of my accountant after 6 April and he reassured me that all the dividends I declare are meant to be interim anyway, as it's a more flexible approach (and that final dividends would not be in respect to 6 Apr anyway, but rather to the company's yearend date).

That automatically solves my next issue of declaring a dividend twice in a row.
    So on to the next task of finding a new accountant and bank account......
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    So on to the next task of finding a new accountant and bank account......
    Hey, I already switched accountants half-a-year ago, and these ones have been recommended to me by a workmate, they're cheaper, and I sometimes see their ads on this forum.

Cater Allen, yes....although I can live with 1.5-day transfers. Who knows how long I'll stay contracting now days.

Contractor Among Contractors

Knew it was Cater Allen just by the description of the delay

There are real banks with actual faster payments that are instant, that are free you know...

With a possible recession coming up I'd hate to be with anyone whose transfers could invoke squeaky bums if it came down to it..;