• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 April deadline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 April deadline

Hi everybody,

Two quick questions from a relatively new contractor:

1) So on my accountant's email it said declare your final dividends before 5 April, which I did.
    But looking at the Minutes of Meeting produced by their system it says interim.
    My business bank takes more than a day to transfer the funds so won't reach me before 6th April, and I heard interim dividends fall into the tax year of the date they get paid (so the day they reach the personal account, 8 April for me)?

2) Actually I was declaring dividends for both myself and my spouse and stupidly declared less than intended for her, so immediately followed up with another declaration. So now I got 3 declarations (one for me and two for her), and also all saying interim.

Going to follow up with my accountant but really worried I've screwed something up now

Anyone got any thoughts?
    Last edited by PK2; 7 April 2020, 19:54. Reason: Less unnecessary info

Yep, you've screwed up that will go through as a dividend for the next financial year.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Yep, you've screwed up that will go through as a dividend for the next financial year.
      Damn it, I just didn't see anything in the options to mark them as final. I was hoping it doesn't make a difference, in which case the latter 2 out of these 3 declarations will become final, and one would have to be interim.

:'(
      Last edited by PK2; 4 April 2020, 22:51.

Comment

An interim dividend falls into the tax year on which it becomes due and payable. This would be the date you receive the payment, however a dividend can also be deemed paid by crediting it to the directors loan account.

Simple solution therefore is to immediately credit your DLA. This would mean the dividend is paid. The bank transfer can be treated as a payment from the DLA.

Comment

Originally posted by PK2 View Post
          Hi everybody,

Two quick questions from a relatively new contractor:

1) So on my accountant's email it said declare your final dividends before 5 April, which I did.
          But looking at the Minutes of Meeting produced by their system it says interim, and also lists my old address (despite having asked them to update it).
          My business bank takes more than a day to transfer the funds so won't reach me before 6th April, and I heard interim dividends fall into the tax year of the date they get paid (so the day they reach the personal account, 8 April for me)?

2) Actually I was declaring dividends for both myself and my spouse and stupidly declared less than intended for her, so immediately followed up with another declaration. So now I got 3 declarations (one for me and two for her), and also all saying interim.

Going to follow up with my accountant but really worried I've screwed something up now

Anyone got any thoughts?
          What business bank account takes over a day to make a payment ?

To answer my own question = None

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            What business bank account takes over a day to make a payment ?

To answer my own question = None

Cater Allen to Lloyds can.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I minute my own meetings, that way the minutes are accurate

Not sure why you need their system to produce minutes? Write your own, file them, and tear theirs up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Cater Allen to Lloyds can.
                Excluding a few niche banks that that no one in there right mind would use for business banking

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Excluding a few niche banks that that no one in there right mind would use for business banking

True, but I set it up years and years ago, plus its still free to me.
                  It just means you have to be a little more organised when you do things, especially in something like the OPs situation.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

As suggested above, just add a journal set for the dividend declared. For example, in FreeAgent:

Posting journal sets to create a dividend – FreeAgent

It’s then credited to your DLA and can be paid out whenever (the payment being debited from your DLA).
                    Last edited by jamesbrown; 5 April 2020, 09:02.

Comment

Working...
                    X