• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC online services: What's the difference between adding Agent or Team Member?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC online services: What's the difference between adding Agent or Team Member?

I have a PSC, and my friend is doing the taxes. So he will deal with CT and PAYE.

I do not know whether to add him as an agent or team member.

Is there any difference?

(deleted)

Opened mouth without thinking....again

But still. Don't mix friends and business.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 April 2020, 11:23.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why would you trust your friend with your taxes if he can't even figure this one out?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What a weird question. You honestly don't know the difference? Are you via an agent for your gig or have you ever been? Are they your team member? If you work in a team at your client are they agents?

I assume you are paying him for this so he's going to be a 3rd party service provider. Nothing to do with agents or team members.

Tip : Drop your friend like a hot potato. Having to ask this question should be reason enough but don't mix your friends with your business. When he screws up and it costs you is he going to cover the losses? I doubt it and it's going to cause long term problems. Get rid.
        No... this is in your HRMC account - you can add an agent (i.e. your accountant)

EDIT: Although the HMRC website doesn't mention team member, so I have no idea where that is coming from:

Agent authorisation to deal with HMRC - GOV.UK
        Last edited by ladymuck; 9 April 2020, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          No... this is in your HRMC account - you can add an agent (i.e. your accountant)

EDIT: Although the HMRC website doesn't mention team member, so I have no idea where that is coming from:

Appoint someone to deal with HMRC on your behalf - GOV.UK
          What LM said.

You can add someone who works for your company as a Team Member that gives them the same access to your HMRC account as you have in order to deal with Tax issues; or you can add a third party such as your accountant, as your Agent, to deal with HMRC on your behalf.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ah! I've just found it.

Right, a team member is a lay person you trust to your accounts for you.

An agent has to be a properly qualified person/company and there are strict rules about agents.

Your bestie, that you're trusting your company finances to, is unlikely to be a fully qualified accountant with the proper agency creds so they're a team member.

Comment

Working...
            X