• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

18/19 Tax return questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18/19 Tax return questions

Given that HMRC have both won and lost court cases based on these questions and tax advisors charge thousands to give you an opinion how is a layman supposed to confidently answer the below questions from HMRC?

My previous employer tells me I have not.
    A tax advisor, at a glance said if what your employer is saying is correct they are 'probably right'?

How am I, as a mere mortal that hasn't studied tax law and doesn't have the power to make a legal judgement, supposed to answer these questions?

I have gone for 'no' on both and then caveated that with a two page summary of my previous employment stating that I believe the answer is no but I also believe I am not qualified to make such a decision.

Isn't an ISA, a dividend and a pensions tax avoidance? When I pay in to my pension, I avoid tax? So surely the whole country is answering 'yes' to the first question...

Any thoughts on this?

Have you used one or more tax avoidance schemes?
    Yes
    No
    Do you need to disclose any income from disguised remuneration avoidance schemes? If you received any disguised remuneration loans between 6 April 1999 and 5 April 2019 and they have not been fully repaid or you still owe tax on an outstanding amount, select yes.

Have you ever signed up to a scheme like those discussed in the HMRC Scheme Enquiries sub forum that were set up using arcane arts to save you tax, with a of promise of 85%+ take home pay and some kind of loan arrangement?

If yes then it's a yes.

If all you've ever done is put money into an ISA then it's a no.

If your accountant isn't sure that that the way you've been paid in the past isn't a tax avoidance scheme then you could be on tricky ground.

Something tells me there's a lot you're not sharing.

Comment

For the love of me, I couldn't figure out what your questions actually were?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyB View Post
        Given that HMRC have both won and lost court cases based on these questions and tax advisors charge thousands to give you an opinion how is a layman supposed to confidently answer the below questions from HMRC?

A tax advisor, at a glance said if what your employer is saying is correct they are 'probably right'?

How am I, as a mere mortal that hasn't studied tax law and doesn't have the power to make a legal judgement, supposed to answer these questions?

I have gone for 'no' on both and then caveated that with a two page summary of my previous employment stating that I believe the answer is no but I also believe I am not qualified to make such a decision.

Isn't an ISA, a dividend and a pensions tax avoidance? When I pay in to my pension, I avoid tax? So surely the whole country is answering 'yes' to the first question...

Any thoughts on this?

Yes
        No
        Do you need to disclose any income from disguised remuneration avoidance schemes? If you received any disguised remuneration loans between 6 April 1999 and 5 April 2019 and they have not been fully repaid or you still owe tax on an outstanding amount, select yes.

Seriously!?!

I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

[/I][/B]
          Please tell me you're joking!

Just pay what you owe and get on with your life.
          Or you may have no life after they catch up with you; see other threads.

Comment

If you’re finding it hard to answer then the answer is Yes.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Any thoughts on this?

Yes
              No

ISAs, dividends and pensions are not tax avoidance schemes. They are established by statute as intrinsic parts of the taxation structure. Any confusion around this is sown by dodgy scheme users who are trying to give themselves cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                ISAs, dividends and pensions are not tax avoidance schemes. They are established by statute as intrinsic parts of the taxation structure. Any confusion around this is sown by dodgy scheme sellers who are trying to give themselves a veneer of respectability.
                FTFY

Comment

Basically you've told them "yes". In any case they do routine checks on how much tax you've paid so if it's low then they'll investigate anyway,

You may as well send in an amendment as otherwise you might open yourself to a fine for ticking the wrong box. If it isn't an avoidance scheme you won't hear back from them because it will be clear that you have paid the tax on all your income.

What they won't do is ignore it because you ticked "no" in the box.

Generally I would go and see an accountant to see if you can straighten out your tax affairs before you end up on the wrong end of an investigation.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Have you ever signed up to a scheme like those discussed in the HMRC Scheme Enquiries sub forum that were set up using arcane arts to save you tax, with a of promise of 85%+ take home pay and some kind of loan arrangement?

If yes then it's a yes.

If all you've ever done is put money into an ISA then it's a no.

If your accountant isn't sure that that the way you've been paid in the past isn't a tax avoidance scheme then you could be on tricky ground.

Something tells me there's a lot you're not sharing.
                    It might be with pointing out he's been involved with a Pembroke scheme.....

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...sing-down.html
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X