• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is IPSE Plus membership worth the extra cost for the initial tax investigation cover?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    ah that explains it then TY!

I am on IPSE plus, simply just to have some protection against any HMRC investigation. The alternative was QDOS but I never really did a proper comparison between the two and as an IPSE member already I upgraded my membership a few years ago. I did phone for some advice on the new IR35 rules a few months ago (I had an overseas client before they clarified that rule) so I spoke to someone from the Abbey team and they gave me some advice but not sure if I was able to do that as a basic IPSE member or not.
    The tax and legal helplines are free to all members. Only real limitation on the legal one is that they cannot discuss individual contracts, only areas of contract law.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

ah that explains it then TY!

I am on IPSE plus, simply just to have some protection against any HMRC investigation. The alternative was QDOS but I never really did a proper comparison between the two and as an IPSE member already I upgraded my membership a few years ago. I did phone for some advice on the new IR35 rules a few months ago (I had an overseas client before they clarified that rule) so I spoke to someone from the Abbey team and they gave me some advice but not sure if I was able to do that as a basic IPSE member or not.
      You can access the Abbey team phone line for advice as a Standard member as well.

And you can also get access to the same voucher discounts as well as a Standard member.

Re: QDOS cover - Some other posts seem to suggest there are a lot of exclusions and conditions, especially around substitution, which puts me off.

My previous contract was assessed as inside IR35 by the client when they used the CEST tool just before my contract ended at the end of March. Mainly due to their believe that they could reject any substitute (even though the contract stated differently). I challenged the decision but this was never responded to because of the last minute delay in IR35. I decided to leave at the end of March instead of signing a new contract as I now know what their thoughts on substitution are.

When I originally signed the contract I wasn't aware of this and signed the contract in good faith that suitable substitutes would be allowed as per the contract.

I think this might invalidate any new QDOS cover I try to get but my existing IPSE membership (including if I upgrade) should still cover me for any future investigations on this previous contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoooby View Post
        You can access the Abbey team phone line for advice as a Standard member as well.

And you can also get access to the same voucher discounts as well as a Standard member.

Re: QDOS cover - Some other posts seem to suggest there are a lot of exclusions and conditions, especially around substitution, which puts me off.

My previous contract was assessed as inside IR35 by the client when they used the CEST tool just before my contract ended at the end of March. Mainly due to their believe that they could reject any substitute (even though the contract stated differently). I challenged the decision but this was never responded to because of the last minute delay in IR35. I decided to leave at the end of March instead of signing a new contract as I now know what their thoughts on substitution are.

When I originally signed the contract I wasn't aware of this and signed the contract in good faith that suitable substitutes would be allowed as per the contract.

I think this might invalidate any new QDOS cover I try to get but my existing IPSE membership (including if I upgrade) should still cover me for any future investigations on this previous contract?
        Yes, IPSE cover is unconditional beyond a case already in progress (on the basis that the defence team won't know what damage has already been wrought by their predecessors or the contractor) and even then exceptions may be made.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Investigated by who exactly? Not in the next year as they all have been reassigned

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          HMRC may still investigate normal contracts under previous rules or public sector contracts.
          My investigation didn't begin as an IR35. It was a straightforward "we think you've been coming into money in a way we can't explain" which was actually rather easily explained. They queried my IR35 determination during the "clutching at straws" stage before Merkel told them to bugger off as there was no case to answer.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            My investigation didn't begin as an IR35. It was a straightforward "we think you've been coming into money in a way we can't explain" which was actually rather easily explained. They queried my IR35 determination during the "clutching at straws" stage before Merkel told them to bugger off as there was no case to answer.
            I'm fairly sure many IR35 investigations start off looking at something innocuous and then, in Columbo style, they have "just one more thing"

Comment

I'm curious to know if it was just a simple, one-off generic style reply from Merkel to the IR35 query, or a more specific response(s) based on your individual situation with potential evidence submitted over a series of back and forth communications?

Comment

I'm curious to know if it was just a simple, one-off generic style reply from Merkel to the IR35 query, or a more specific response(s) based on your individual situation with potential evidence submitted over a series of back and forth communications?
                Don't know about this specific example, but over the years an awful lot of potential IR35 queries have come to a screeching halt when IPSE's advisors step into the discussion...

Most used to seem to start from a discrepancy on the SATR vs the company CT returns, such as expenses claims or similar. These days, with RTI and iXBRL data recording, it may be more focussed.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

more specific responses. With them telling me what was fair for them to ask and what wasn't.

So I could've handled it on my own, but it may well have gone on for longer and I wouldn't have the clout to say "what you're implying isn't right" like they did. There were IIRC 10-15 questions each for me and my accountant and they worked through all of them.

And it all started with a self assessment enquiry.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

more specific responses. With them telling me what was fair for them to ask and what wasn't.

So I could've handled it on my own, but it may well have gone on for longer and I wouldn't have the clout to say "what you're implying isn't right" like they did. There were IIRC 10-15 questions each for me and my accountant and they worked through all of them.

And it all started with a self assessment enquiry.
                    ...and every case that has been lost started with the contractor not using an expert representative at the outset...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      ...and every case that has been lost started with the contractor not using an expert representative at the outset...
                      Is that (verifiably) true?

Comment

Working...
                      X