• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requests to see Insurance Policy Schedules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client requests to see Insurance Policy Schedules

I have been contracting for a client for many years.

Out of the blue this morning they have asked to see my Insurance Schedules for Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance.

Is this normal?

Being a good contractor I have both of course, but the schedules include the annual renewal fees, and I'm not sure why they need to see these.

Originally posted by daydream View Post

Out of the blue this morning they have asked to see my Insurance Schedules for Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance.

Is this normal?

Being a good contractor I have both of course, but the schedules include the annual renewal fees, and I'm not sure why they need to see these.

What issue do you have with sharing the schedules?

As for why they need to see the schedules, it's to confirm that you have them in place.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

They're seeing as part of their due diligence - I'm pretty up for an argument over most things, but this isn't an unreasonable request.

To turn it around a little, you'd be well within your rights to ask a builder or plumber to demonstrate that they are suitable insured before starting work.

Comment

Completely normal.

For the most part, I have to send all this along to the agent prior to stepping on client soil.

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.

It was just the out of the blue request that threw me - You would expect them to ask this upfront not X years down the line. But they have confirmed they are just tiding up ready for their next audit.

(They also pointed out the section of the contract where I have to be able to produce them if requested, so I have now done so!)

Comment

Is this normal?

You've been with the same client for so many years that basic dilligence/compliance checks take you by surprise?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              You've been with the same client for so many years that basic dilligence/compliance checks take you by surprise?
              Here we go... .

Your spelling of diligence not withstanding, if this is the first time he's experienced this, then yes, it will have taken him by surprise. There being a first time for everyone with everyThing…

Climb down fella.

Comment

Is this normal?

Lots of insurance schedules include the fees. I remember seeing that on the PL insurance certificates displayed in various places at an ex-Client. I don't know why the premium is included but it's not really an issue unless you're worried that your £9.99 policy from Bobshawaddywaddy Insurancings Ltd isn't totally legit

Comment

Go on then.. What did you break? and who did you punch in the face?

I was joking, so hopefully its neither of these
                  As others have said, its perfectly normal to ask for insurance certificates. Some agents don't bother at all. It just comes down to their attitude to risk.
                  If they're asking part way through a contract, then the agent is probably just improving their onboarding process, and reviewing existing contractors records against these.

Edit: also insurance only tends to last for 12 months, so they may ask to see it again every year if you're lucky to be in contract for that long.

Comment

They probably ran out of work to do given current situation and just trying to find some busywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X