• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses self-employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses self-employment

*If I have posted in the wrong place then please move to right place*
    I've spoken to an accountant, though wanted to get some advice from you guys and possibly some professional advice for a second opinion.

I'm newly self-employed in healthcare. I have yet to get up and running in the current environment though planning to soon. I have a temporary assignment for 6 months, 2 days a week. And plan to work in 4 or 5 other separate locations during this time. The advice I've been given by the accountant that because this employment is over 1 month and I'll be going on regular days that this falls under being employment. My understanding was previous to that because it's a temporary contract that this wouldn't apply and that travel to this location would be tax deductible.

Secondly, they advised any ad-hoc work (whatever hours/days) that if you attend once a week for more than a month - then travel to these locations would not be tax deductible.

Would be grateful if you can steer me in the direction of some professional tax advice as prefer to have it all above board.

Posted in the wrong forum - business and contracts. I am setting up as a sole trader, not through intermediary or Ltd company so I understand that IR35 would not apply. Can you advise are there any more tax beneficial standpoints that I could claim travel for this temporary contract? I don't see it as a home to work assignment specifically.
    Last edited by Newlycontracting; 30 April 2020, 16:17.

MODS: Can you do the needful and merge with this?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...mployment.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Erm.. like the accounting forums???

As LadyMuck says. Need to know how you are remunerating yourself/
      Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      MODS: Can you do the needful and merge with this?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...mployment.html

Well he did do as suggested
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Double facepalm. When one just isn't enough.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X