• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH and expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    CT saving as well.
    And all that follows - better retained profits or increased dividends available, etc.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      And all that follows - better retained profits or increased dividends available, etc.
      The brutal tax system in Ireland at least has the benefit of simplicity. Anything I put through the company 'saves me in tax' 50% if not reclaiming VAT and 60% if reclaiming VAT - more or less.

Ireland has an eWorker allowance of €3.20 per day and it's being promoted by Revenue as relevant to home working during pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        that was merely speculative assuming a tax saving of the basic dividend rate.
        As I've already used that allowance it's more like £325....

I think it would take longer to email the accountant to ask him to make a recurring expense on FA than it would to do it myself./
        And that it still less time than to write this....
        That £1000 would have been £810 to be distributed in dividends after CT.

If in basic rate band, that would have incurred another £60.75, costing you a total of £250.75, leaving you a net of £749.25 if you used dividends.

If in higher rate band, that would have incurred another £263.25 in div tax, costing you a total of £453.25.

So your 10 minutes saved you somewhere between £250.75 and £453.25, depending on whether you were into higher rate band each year or not.

You will have to decide whether this discussion proves you are really intelligent, because you took advantage of this to save hundreds in tax, or whether it proves you are really stupid since you thought it only saved you £75. I choose not to have an opinion on the question.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          That £1000 would have been £810 to be distributed in dividends after CT.

If in basic rate band, that would have incurred another £60.75, costing you a total of £250.75, leaving you a net of £749.25 if you used dividends.

If in higher rate band, that would have incurred another £263.25 in div tax, costing you a total of £453.25.

So your 10 minutes saved you somewhere between £250.75 and £453.25, depending on whether you were into higher rate band each year or not.

You will have to decide whether this discussion proves you are really intelligent, because you took advantage of this to save hundreds in tax, or whether it proves you are really stupid since you thought it only saved you £75. I choose not to have an opinion on the question.
          It proves I know just enough to get it right but not know how right it really is...

I’m a fooking techie not an accountant.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            It proves I know just enough to get it right but not know how right it really is...

I’m a fooking techie not an accountant.
            Sometimes you just need to be able to smell that there's money to be saved or made.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              I just set up a recurring expense in FreeAgent, and a standing order. It's £300 a year, tax free, no matter how you cut it!
              do you do the standing order once a year for 300 or per week for 6 quid?

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
                do you do the standing order once a year for 300 or per week for 6 quid?
                Depends on other expenses, when I am working away an incurring them frequently I do them monthly, at the moment I am pulling them off when ever I see a nice bottle of single malt I want
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Depends on other expenses, when I am working away an incurring them frequently I do them monthly, at the moment I am pulling them off when ever I see a nice bottle of single malt I want
                  You're what??
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

As the homeworking allowance increased from £4 to £6 per week (effective from April) how much you claim for a company year that ends this month, for example? 44 weeks at £4 and 8 weeks at £6?

Also, it used to be £4 per week or £18 per month so my accountant posted £216 (12*£18) instead of £208 (52*£4) as it was a tiny bit more - I'm not fussed about it but curious as to if there is an equivalent monthly allowance available? Only the weekly allowance was mentioned in the Budget Red Book so I suppose not...

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SDR View Post
                      As the homeworking allowance increased from £4 to £6 per week (effective from April) how much you claim for a company year that ends this month, for example? 44 weeks at £4 and 8 weeks at £6?

Also, it used to be £4 per week or £18 per month so my accountant posted £216 (12*£18) instead of £208 (52*£4) as it was a tiny bit more - I'm not fussed about it but curious as to if there is an equivalent monthly allowance available? Only the weekly allowance was mentioned in the Budget Red Book so I suppose not...

Cheers.
                      Yes it's pro-rated. But as mentioned earlier in the thread, just claim it monthly as an expense claim to your CO. I can't be arsed to count the weeks since April 6th till end of this month so I'll say that you're probably correct.

Yes there's a monthly. That's £26 (6 x 52 / 12)
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X