• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aircon for 100% dedicated home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slightly off topic, but it gets unbearably hot in my home office, so I'm going to move to the North of Scotland.
    My accountant says I can't expense the mortgage on a grade II listed castle, even though I need it purely to function for work purposes.

What is the general opinion on here?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      slightly off topic, but it gets unbearably hot in my home office, so I'm going to move to the North of Scotland.
      My accountant says I can't expense the mortgage on a grade II listed castle, even though I need it purely to function for work purposes.

Are you an MP?

Comment

My unit is currently sat in my WFH office and... it never crossed my mind to claim for it. As it really comes into its own in the bedroom at night ( )

Your accountant is right, IMO. To me it fails the "well, technically you could have a TV on the wall of your office" test.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But if it's portable it's available for personal use so BiK comes in.

I personally wouldn't be claiming this as I know full well I'll use it in other areas of the house as need be.
          Would you? I'd just buy another one if needed for another room. They're mobile (at least, the one I have is) but it's effort to move them around once you've got them in place. I'd expense it. Worst case, it is disallowed. If you've got a good reason like the office gets very hot and the kit over heats (never mind you!), that's all to the good.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Different risk appetites are always interesting and I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong here. But I'm trying to imagine if you were an Acccenture employee WFH for the lockdown duration and they provided you with a mobile aircon unit. Would you expect to pay BIK on it? I reckon not, whereas a giant telly, you would.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Different risk appetites are always interesting and I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong here. But I'm trying to imagine if you were an Acccenture employee WFH for the lockdown duration and they provided you with a mobile aircon unit. Would you expect to pay BIK on it? I reckon not, whereas a giant telly, you would.
              I'd like to know how many Acccenture employees have air cons from their employer......
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I bought a little blow heater for my office as the blanket and fingerless gloves I had taken to wearing just wasn't cutting it. It was only about £30 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Detached house for sale in Brechin Castle, Brechin, Angus, DD9, DD9
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I reckon not, whereas a giant telly, you would.
                    But not a projector with HDMI inputs...

TBH, I rarely claim expenses anymore. I can't be bothered with the paperwork and in the scheme of things it's not a huge amount.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No you cannot claim an air con as an expense. There is already a work from home blanket amount that can be claimed by the contractor on a weekly or monthly basis from the LTD company and is allowable by HMRC. It would be expected that these purchases are made from the funds received from this expense claim.

Comment

Working...
                      X