• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aircon for 100% dedicated home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aircon for 100% dedicated home office

Hi All,

Just want to check / clarify with an issue I'm having with my accountant. I have a 100% dedicated home office and work from home, I purchased a aircon unit dedicated to that room and no others, the account is saying it's not a company expense, whereas to me I would it is?

Originally posted by faxfan View Post
    Hi All,

Just want to check / clarify with an issue I'm having with my accountant. I have a 100% dedicated home office and work from home, I purchased a aircon unit dedicated to that room and no others, the account is saying it's not a company expense, whereas to me I would it is?
    The accountant is the expert. My take on it would be that if it was portable, I would expense it, but if it was installed into the fabric of the house, I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      The accountant is the expert. My take on it would be that if it was portable, I would expense it, but if it was installed into the fabric of the house, I wouldn't.
      But if it's portable it's available for personal use so BiK comes in.

I personally wouldn't be claiming this as I know full well I'll use it in other areas of the house as need be. It's too expensive not to. For me this would be just one step over a thin line to mess about with just a percentage saving on it. It's very uncommon so at the very least is going to raise eyebrows if not flags if it comes to the worst.

I'm with your accountant. Just my opinion.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        But if it's portable it's available for personal use so BiK comes in.
        So are lots of pieces of office equipment.

Comment

Hi All,

When you say 100% dedicated home office, I assume this is physically separate from your home, ah I guess not as that would be an office rather than a home office
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I quite fancy new patio doors in my home office (where there is just a wall today). Can I expense that?

Comment

It will all come down to your appetite for risk: are you prepared to defend your purchase during an investigation?

You are looking for someone to support your decision to buy something that is not, strictly speaking, "office equipment". Unfortunately, you have come to a forum where pretty much everybody is going to assume that you're not telling us the whole truth and that what you REALLY want is one of those nice Dyson's for when things get unbearable in the Summer.

Your accountant can advise; it is for you to decide.

Let's not pretend otherwise shall we?
              Last edited by wattaj; 6 May 2020, 13:08. Reason: Speillng.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Hi All,

If needed to cool down my 60” training aid TV, I would deffo expense

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

So the issue you're having with your accountant is that they, with their training and experience, have given you an answer you don't like.

Can you, hand on heart, say that the purchase is wholly, necessarily and exclusively for the purposes of your business (I always get the exact term a bit wonky but that's the gist). Will your busines be unable to perform its services without it?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about putting any equipment for use in a dedicated home office (unless its clearly something intended for personal use) through as a business expense. Admittedly its easier to make a distinction if you have something like a dedicated and separate office (e.g. a garden room) rather than working out of your spare room but its not something I'd worry about. It's not unusual for a business to provide something for its employees to make sure its more comfortable while working. If you're going to stress about it, don't put it through the business. If you feel you should be able to, then just do it and get on with your life.

Comment

Working...
                    X