• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous years expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two elements to the tax relief here. Personal and company.
    For personal just ring HMRC and ask them if you can do several years in one SA.
    For company ask an accountant.

In addition, if for the same client, then the 24 month rule may well apply. Read the links to the right on those.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      There are two elements to the tax relief here. Personal and company.
      For personal just ring HMRC and ask them if you can do several years in one SA.
      For company ask an accountant.

In addition, if for the same client, then the 24 month rule may well apply. Read the links to the right on those.

Thank you for the reply.

Obviously I have always done it against my company to reduce corporation tax.

Therefore should he not be doing it against his company? What's the difference if he does it on his SA?

Comment

So, I have a question: does your "friend" have an accurate mileage log to support such a claim; one that would withstand scrutiny from HMRC?

Ok, so two questions: does the two year rule not apply here, and why not?

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by 325i View Post
          Thank you for the reply.

Obviously I have always done it against my company to reduce corporation tax.

Therefore should he not be doing it against his company? What's the difference if he does it on his SA?
          SA is simpler but will not reduce CT.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            So, I have a question: does your "friend" have an accurate mileage log to support such a claim; one that would withstand scrutiny from HMRC?

Ok, so two questions: does the two year rule not apply here, and why not?

I am not sure but presume so. That's something for him.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            SA is simpler but will not reduce CT.
            Thanks, understand. But by putting it on the SA, it will reduce income tax?

Comment

Google Tax Relief etc. etc.

Comment

Yes.
                It works if you’ve done business mileage but not been recompensed.
                You get tax relief on 45p per mile for 10,000 miles and 22p per mile after that.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Yes.
                  It works if you’ve done business mileage but not been recompensed.
                  You get tax relief on 45p per mile for 10,000 miles and 22p per mile after that.
                  Thanks. So in summary his tax relief is against the dividend tax of 7.5%.

Obviously if he'd had done it properly it would of been relief on the company against corporation tax which would of been against 19%!!!

Comment

Obviously if he'd had done it properly it would of been relief on the company against corporation tax which would of been against 19%!!!
                    his tax relief is against his income tax. So yes if he's drawing small salary and dividends.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Which would have been a lot more than the cost of a decent accountant......
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X