• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company loan to another limited company under same director

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company loan to another limited company under same director

I guess this has been asked here few times, but couldn't get clarity on few points

Scenario
    I've got my Limited company running for 6 years (OldCompany) and I wanted to start a small start-up company (NewCompany). Needed to have a seed capital of 20K for NewCompany which I was thinking to fund from OldCompany. I've got accountant for OldCompany but not planning for NewCompany as the profits may not be good enough initially.

Few queries
    1. The company-to-company loan from OldCompany to NewCompany. If the Loan traverses the Company year end of
    OldCompany, will I need to pay corporation tax for that year on the loan from OldCompany? Or should I pay Corp Tax when NewCompany pays it back?

2. Is it better to start NewCompany as subsidiary of OldCompany i.e. owned by OldCompany to get the loan?

3. If I make a loss in NewCompany but say transfer only £15K back to OldCompany how does the calculations happen? If I setup as Subsidiary, will this be offset against OldCompany profits?
    Last edited by sojan; 14 May 2020, 18:05.

Number 2.

Simpler and doesn’t mean cocking around with interest.
    Just use the initial £20k as the first capital and release some shares against it. I’d go for 200 shares so valued at £100 each.
    Old co becomes the owner. You can appoint yourself as a director.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Number 2.

Simpler and doesn’t mean cocking around with interest.
      Just use the initial £20k as the first capital and release some shares against it. I’d go for 200 shares so valued at £100 each.
      Old co becomes the owner. You can appoint yourself as a director.
      Cheers.

Any idea for what happens for (1) and (2) ? i.e. in case of subsidiary how will it impact those two points?

Comment

Working...
      X