• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this a sign of a bad accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a sign of a bad accountant

So I changed accountants 2 weeks ago and in the communication so far I have had some alarm bells started to go off as someone who may not be the best accountant!
    Just wanted to see what everyone here thinks if I should ask to have a new accountant assigned or give it a month to see if it improves?
    The signs were:
    - She asked me what my expenses are for last tax year and I said only expense is £500 a year on meals and she used that in a calculation as £500 a month! Now if anyone said they expenses £500 a MONTH on meal then that sounds wrong so she should have clarified.
    - In the self assessment tax plan she put down me withdrawing 90% of my income however I would expect them to give most tax efficient calculation rather then most taxed!
    - Other small things like asking me for previous tax year information but then forgets she can get info from FreeAgent.

These are not cheap services but to me that sounds like bad signs,
    What do you guys think?

The meals isn't that unreasonable. When I stay away I can start pushing that figure per month so not out the realms of possibility.

Is she actually an accountant and is it a sausage factory type setup?

Does sound like there is a bit of diligence not being applied but once it's setup the constant running could be different.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£500 a month is not excessive for expenses.
      I'd assume monthly as well.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The meals isn't that unreasonable. When I stay away I can start pushing that figure per month so not out the realms of possibility.

Is she actually an accountant and is it a sausage factory type setup?

Does sound like there is a bit of diligence not being applied but once it's setup the constant running could be different.
        Yup she meant to be accountant.
        The due diligence around tax efficiency is where my worry is.

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
          Yup she meant to be accountant.
          The due diligence around tax efficiency is where my worry is.
          the due dilligence around choosing an accountant is probably more an issue

Did you use the accountant recommendation thread?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            the due dilligence around choosing an accountant is probably more an issue

Did you use the accountant recommendation thread?

Yes they are with Gorilla

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
              Yes they are with Gorilla
              you'll be fine then.
              As NLUK says, wait till it beds in a bit. If in doubt pick up the phone.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X