Is this a sign of a bad accountant Is this a sign of a bad accountant
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default Is this a sign of a bad accountant

    So I changed accountants 2 weeks ago and in the communication so far I have had some alarm bells started to go off as someone who may not be the best accountant!
    Just wanted to see what everyone here thinks if I should ask to have a new accountant assigned or give it a month to see if it improves?
    The signs were:
    - She asked me what my expenses are for last tax year and I said only expense is £500 a year on meals and she used that in a calculation as £500 a month! Now if anyone said they expenses £500 a MONTH on meal then that sounds wrong so she should have clarified.
    - In the self assessment tax plan she put down me withdrawing 90% of my income however I would expect them to give most tax efficient calculation rather then most taxed!
    - Other small things like asking me for previous tax year information but then forgets she can get info from FreeAgent.

    These are not cheap services but to me that sounds like bad signs,
    What do you guys think?

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,315

    Default

    The meals isn't that unreasonable. When I stay away I can start pushing that figure per month so not out the realms of possibility.

    Is she actually an accountant and is it a sausage factory type setup?

    Does sound like there is a bit of diligence not being applied but once it's setup the constant running could be different.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,969

    Default

    £500 a month is not excessive for expenses.
    I'd assume monthly as well.
    See You Next Tuesday

  4. #4

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    The meals isn't that unreasonable. When I stay away I can start pushing that figure per month so not out the realms of possibility.

    Is she actually an accountant and is it a sausage factory type setup?

    Does sound like there is a bit of diligence not being applied but once it's setup the constant running could be different.
    Yup she meant to be accountant.
    The due diligence around tax efficiency is where my worry is.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xenomorph View Post
    Yup she meant to be accountant.
    The due diligence around tax efficiency is where my worry is.
    the due dilligence around choosing an accountant is probably more an issue

    Did you use the accountant recommendation thread?
    See You Next Tuesday

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    the due dilligence around choosing an accountant is probably more an issue

    Did you use the accountant recommendation thread?

    Yes they are with Gorilla

  7. #7

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xenomorph View Post
    Yes they are with Gorilla
    you'll be fine then.
    As NLUK says, wait till it beds in a bit. If in doubt pick up the phone.
    See You Next Tuesday

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •