• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Dealing Account for your Limited company (existing or new limited company)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share Dealing Account for your Limited company (existing or new limited company)

hi Guys,

Do you guys invest savings (after paying Corp tax) into shares/investments via your Limited company or do you start a separate limited company to do these type of things?

If you do which Share dealing account do you recommend for Limited companies? (Reviews say IG is better), but would be great to get experience from you folks.
    Please Note: I'm NOT looking for personal share trade dealing account, which already have a sticky thread in this forum.

My analysis till now
    - IG => Pain to start the limited company account if it is a new Ltd. £8 per deal have mixed feeling. Really costly for dealing non-UK shares due to the exchange rates
    - Saxo => reviewd much high, but £60K limit for corporate accounts?
    - Freetrade.io => very childish as personal only. Nothing much for shares

HL, AJBell => I couldn't see limited companies named accounts. May be I'm not looking it correctly

(PS: Happy to get referred if you find limited company accounts you have experienced is good).

Originally posted by sojan View Post
    hi Guys,

Do you guys invest savings (after paying Corp tax) into shares/investments via your Limited company or do you start a separate limited company to do these type of things?

If you do which Share dealing account do you recommend for Limited companies? (Reviews say IG is better), but would be great to get experience from you folks.
    Please Note: I'm NOT looking for personal share trade dealing account, which already have a sticky thread in this forum.

My analysis till now
    - IG => Pain to start the limited company account if it is a new Ltd. £8 per deal have mixed feeling. Really costly for dealing non-UK shares due to the exchange rates
    - Saxo => reviewd much high, but £60K limit for corporate accounts?
    - Freetrade.io => very childish as personal only. Nothing much for shares

HL, AJBell => I couldn't see limited companies named accounts. May be I'm not looking it correctly

(PS: Happy to get referred if you find limited company accounts you have experienced is good).
    HL will do ltd company co, BUT they do have rules. It is worth talking to them. Mrs courtg9000 set mine up - she is an investment industry professional though. If you are a general holding/trading co with assets you should be fine. if you are "first name surname contracting co ltd" you may find it harder to get accepted. MyCo holds shares in other companies for example.

------

Just spoken to Mrs Courtg9000 more about this. She reckons that many "standard contractors"* will have an issue with share trading accounts anywhere if all the income is just day rates. If the income is from additional sources as well such as property, IP royalties, kit sales as well as day rates then there should not be as much of an issue.

*Mrs courtg9000 words not mine!
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Bear in mind that it opens your company up to being classified as a CIHC which, among other things, renders you ineligible for ER on voluntary wind up.

Comment

I understand conventional wisdom is that this is generally a bad idea. Not least because the individual has a CGT allowance, a company does not. An individual has tax breaks available like ISA and SIPP*** available. A company does not. Myself, I just file the idea in the "trying to be a bit too clever" bin.

*** I do recommend Ltd Co contributions into an individual's SIPP.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I understand conventional wisdom is that this is generally a bad idea. Not least because the individual has a CGT allowance, a company does not. An individual has tax breaks available like ISA and SIPP*** available. A company does not. Myself, I just file the idea in the "trying to be a bit too clever" bin.

*** I do recommend Ltd Co contributions into an individual's SIPP.
          This.

Comment

I use Degiro.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              This.
              I suppose it depends on your objectives.
              I have used share trading via the company to develop companies in the past.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Bear in mind that it opens your company up to being classified as a CIHC which, among other things, renders you ineligible for ER on voluntary wind up.
                But even if they are two separate companies/entities, will MVL of the 1st company be a problem?

Comment

But even if they are two separate companies/entities, will MVL of the 1st company be a problem?
                  if they are totally separate then MVL of the 1st comapny will be fine.
                  But how will they be totally separate if you want to use the money in company 1?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

No, it they're separate entities, they are separate entities. If your goal is to create a CIHC, have at it. As the CT rates for small and large businesses are now aligned, the disincentives to create a CIHC are smaller than they once were, but you won't get any of the personal reliefs on investment gains/income, as noted earlier.

Comment

Working...
                    X