• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QQ for thems on FreeAgent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Essentially, I want to keep a tally of invoices against a purchase order so I know how much is left on it without keeping track in a separate spreadsheet.

Will using Projects do that? I don't care about tracking profitability.

Can Estimates allow me to send out invoices of a smaller value than the quote - so I can 'draw down' on the quote and see what's left to be invoiced?
    That's what I do, you can select the project when creating an invoice.

Only issue I have been unable to solve is to create one invoice for multiple projects, not a biggy though.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Or you raise both estimates and staged invoices against the project budget...?
      Not being a user of FA, will that give me the view that I'm looking for?

Why would I need to raise an estimate and an invoice against the budget?

Comment

Essentially, I want to keep a tally of invoices against a purchase order so I know how much is left on it without keeping track in a separate spreadsheet.

Will using Projects do that? I don't care about tracking profitability.

Can Estimates allow me to send out invoices of a smaller value than the quote - so I can 'draw down' on the quote and see what's left to be invoiced?
        In FA, you can create a Project called Purchase Order (or whatever you want) then set the purchase order amount in the "Budget" part of the "Project". Then when you're raising part invoices toward the purchase order, you can allocate that sales invoice against that specific Project/Purchase Order.

What you'll then see in the Project section of FA is:

Name Contact Dates Invoiced (Net) To be Invoiced Budget
        Consultancy ABC Ltd £10,000.00 £50,000 Edit X

Xero does the same thing although it looks a lot slicker. You would have to purchase the bolt on for Projects in Xero. Then go into Project, create a "Quote" which would be your purchase order. Go through the steps to mark it as and accepted quote by the client. Then in the Projects>Quotes & Invoices section, you can create your part invoices. Here you can also see the Quote/Purchase order amount at the top followed by the invoices issued below. Along the top of the screen will tell you the total of Invoiced Amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          In FA, you can create a Project called Purchase Order (or whatever you want) then set the purchase order amount in the "Budget" part of the "Project". Then when you're raising part invoices toward the purchase order, you can allocate that sales invoice against that specific Project/Purchase Order.

What you'll then see in the Project section of FA is:

Name Contact Dates Invoiced (Net) To be Invoiced Budget
          Consultancy ABC Ltd £10,000.00 £50,000 Edit X

Xero does the same thing although it looks a lot slicker. You would have to purchase the bolt on for Projects in Xero. Then go into Project, create a "Quote" which would be your purchase order. Go through the steps to mark it as and accepted quote by the client. Then in the Projects>Quotes & Invoices section, you can create your part invoices. Here you can also see the Quote/Purchase order amount at the top followed by the invoices issued below. Along the top of the screen will tell you the total of Invoiced Amount.
          Thanks Craig! I've long suspected Sage were lagging behind FA and Xero. I'll have a further play with Xero while I have the trial and see how to do that.

Comment

View or edit a project – FreeAgent

Comment

Thanks Craig! I've long suspected Sage were lagging behind FA and Xero. I'll have a further play with Xero while I have the trial and see how to do that.
              Give me a shout if you're stuck

Comment

FreeAgent doesn't support Purchase Orders

I have recently raised this query with FreeAgent to find out if they plan to develop PO addition any time soon and I was advised the below:

FreeAgent doesn't support purchase orders and there's no plans at the moment to implement this functionality in the system at present.

As far as a workaround goes, can I suggest you use a separate package like MS Excel or Word to create your purchase orders, and when you create bills or explain payments in FreeAgent relating to these purchase orders, place the purchase order number in the description and / or attach a copy of the purchase order to your bill / transaction.

There is also a third party integration called Appcrual which supports purchase orders and integrates with FreeAgent.

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
                  I have recently raised this query with FreeAgent to find out if they plan to develop PO addition any time soon and I was advised the below:

FreeAgent doesn't support purchase orders and there's no plans at the moment to implement this functionality in the system at present.

As far as a workaround goes, can I suggest you use a separate package like MS Excel or Word to create your purchase orders, and when you create bills or explain payments in FreeAgent relating to these purchase orders, place the purchase order number in the description and / or attach a copy of the purchase order to your bill / transaction.

There is also a third party integration called Appcrual which supports purchase orders and integrates with FreeAgent.
                  Is this response related to purchase orders issued by the user of Freeagent to it's client or purchase orders issued by the client and received by the user of Freeagent? May have misread it, but it sounds like they're referring to the former?

Comment

In my investigations, it seems some systems deal with ISSUING purchase orders (or not, as is the case with FA and Sage) but none manage RECEIPT of them.

For received POs it looks like you have to use clunky workarounds with quotes or projects, which isn't ideal.

It would be great if: when a PO is created you tick a box to say if it's being issued or received and then you select the supplier / customer as applicable and, in time, associate one or more purchase / sales invoices to it. A simple report of total value, invoiced value, and value remaining could then be created.

Really struggling to see why it's so hard!

Comment

In my investigations, it seems some systems deal with ISSUING purchase orders (or not, as is the case with FA and Sage) but none manage RECEIPT of them.

For received POs it looks like you have to use clunky workarounds with quotes or projects, which isn't ideal.

It would be great if: when a PO is created you tick a box to say if it's being issued or received and then you select the supplier / customer as applicable and, in time, associate one or more purchase / sales invoices to it. A simple report of total value, invoiced value, and value remaining could then be created.

Really struggling to see why it's so hard!
                      Thanks LM, this might be very important soon for me. So - I get a PO for work, PO number 123456. I do work each month for six months. I want to invoice monthly against PO 123456 on six occaisions. So, I create projects 123456-1, to 123456-6? Until the work is done and the PO closed out with six invoices against it? Cheers.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X