• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QQ for thems on FreeAgent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks LM, this might be very important soon for me. So - I get a PO for work, PO number 123456. I do work each month for six months. I want to invoice monthly against PO 123456 on six occaisions. So, I create projects 123456-1, to 123456-6? Until the work is done and the PO closed out with six invoices against it? Cheers.
    I haven't played with it in FA yet as I think Xero is more to my liking. Must be all those years in accounts leaving me hankering for something a bit less noddy

In Xero, you would need to buy their Projects module add-on, can't remember how much that is but I don't think it's expensive.

You then create a project - and you can either create a fixed price project, or set it up based on effort and expenses. Then you can raise one or more invoices against the project and see the value of your invoicing against it.

Annoyingly, Xero will only set hours not days against a project if you go the effort route, but then I found I could easily ignore the 'hours' bit and just read it as 'units' in my head and it worked out just fine*. Setting up the project in terms of effort is good because it clearly shows what you've invoiced out of what you've set up which is more useful to me. If you do have a PO that includes an allowance for expenses then this feature is handy as you can set your expenses budget and allocate spend against it. Then, when you're ready to invoice, you just select 'invoice all effort to date' (or words to that effect) and it's all done for you.

I'd recommend you getting a trial of Xero (they will call you up to discuss!) and having a play.

* EDIT - it's possible this could be configurable somewhere and I'm going to join one of their live Q&A webinars to dig into this a bit more as they have an expert fielding questions and doing live demos every week - available to trial users as well as paying customers

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I haven't played with it in FA yet as I think Xero is more to my liking. Must be all those years in accounts leaving me hankering for something a bit less noddy

In Xero, you would need to buy their Projects module add-on, can't remember how much that is but I don't think it's expensive.

You then create a project - and you can either create a fixed price project, or set it up based on effort and expenses. Then you can raise one or more invoices against the project and see the value of your invoicing against it.

Annoyingly, Xero will only set hours not days against a project if you go the effort route, but then I found I could easily ignore the 'hours' bit and just read it as 'units' in my head and it worked out just fine*. Setting up the project in terms of effort is good because it clearly shows what you've invoiced out of what you've set up which is more useful to me. If you do have a PO that includes an allowance for expenses then this feature is handy as you can set your expenses budget and allocate spend against it. Then, when you're ready to invoice, you just select 'invoice all effort to date' (or words to that effect) and it's all done for you.

I'd recommend you getting a trial of Xero (they will call you up to discuss!) and having a play.

* EDIT - it's possible this could be configurable somewhere and I'm going to join one of their live Q&A webinars to dig into this a bit more as they have an expert fielding questions and doing live demos every week - available to trial users as well as paying customers
      Thanks LM. FreeAgent for me. Starting again from scratch after about a five year overseas gap, the Nat West bank offer + FreeAgent is too good to pass up.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Thanks LM. FreeAgent for me. Starting again from scratch after about a five year overseas gap, the Nat West bank offer + FreeAgent is too good to pass up.
        That's fair enough. Never been one for bundled stuff, even though I'm sure it costs me more!

I think Craig in an earlier post described the FA process so it's worth having a tinker following his notes.

I should ask a mod to update the thread title to include Xero...

Comment

Working...
        X