• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella found guilty of deducting ERNI & AL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ...and that is also illegal under the existing law. You have to advertise the rate for the role payable to the worker, not an artificially inflated one to make the role more attractive. This is what Chaplin calls the Smurf Rate, attractive but non-existent.

Of course that rate may well be 30% under market, which has the same effect except you risk not seeing good people applying, but that's the client's decision.
    The advertised rate has nothing to do with it, its all about the rate in the contract, which for the contractor is between them and the brolly, what the agent pays the brolly is of little or no relevance, taking brollys out of the equation we all know of examples of an agent saying "sorry the rate has come down £50 a day since interview"
    Last edited by SimonMac; 28 May 2020, 13:07.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I suppose the agency should advertise as "X less applicable taxes" and that could be enough fluff to make it legal.
      The mess comes about in part because the agency is advertising for a worker but intends to contract with the brolly company. The advert should say something like "£400 pd to be paid to supplying company" but it's cumbersome. Really, the agency should just put the worker on their books for PAYE as Hays would with a temp. Smaller agencies could buy in services from a brolly.
      Last edited by Old Greg; 28 May 2020, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        The advertised rate has nothing to do with it, its all about the rate in the contract, which for the contractor is between them and the brolly, what the agent pays the brolly is of little or no relevance, taking brollys out of the equation we all know of examples of an agent saying "sorry the rate has come down £50 a day since interview"
        So it's fine to offer something for £500 when you know full well you will only ever pay £350... Fair enough.

People who can afford it will walk away. Most won't. The role will still be filled by someone who can't afford to walk.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I still don’t understand why contractor is liable for AL, they don’t turnover enough to qualify. The agency/umbrella on whose turnover the percentage is based should pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            The mess comes about in part because the agency is advertising for a worker but intends to contract with the brolly company. The advert should say something like "£400 pd to be paid to supplying company" but it's cumbersome. Really, the agency should just put the worker on their books for PAYE as Hays would with a temp. Smaller agencies could buy in services from a brolly.
            Hays are a bunch of crooks, client pays for triple time for bank holiday if worked, standard rate if not, contractor doesn’t see it, hays have pocketed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
              Hays are a bunch of crooks, client pays for triple time for bank holiday if worked, standard rate if not, contractor doesn’t see it, hays have pocketed it.
              On the flip side, I put a time sheet in on Friday/signed off, got paid on Tuesday (PSC). Best system I've worked under! (never did any Out of hours, so didn't notice / miss the fiddle you mention)

There are up sides to "global hyper mega corp"

M

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
                On the flip side, I put a time sheet in on Friday/signed off, got paid on Tuesday (PSC). Best system I've worked under! (never did any Out of hours, so didn't notice / miss the fiddle you mention)

There are up sides to "global hyper mega corp"

M
                I worked through Hays and they were taking a 4.7% margin with the same excellent payment terms and administration you describe. Super-sweet.

Comment

I still don’t understand why contractor is liable for AL, they don’t turnover enough to qualify. The agency/umbrella on whose turnover the percentage is based should pay.
                  When you engage with an Umbrella Company you're basically signing up as an employee to receive NMW + Commission.

How that commission is made up is usually as a result of getting the invoice value for the work and then deducting the costs that the Umbrella incurs employing that individual and their margin.

Those costs for the Umbrella will include Employer's NI, Apprentice Levy and any Employer Pension contributions. Because the Umbrella company invoices for the work it's the Umbrella company's money so they can divvy that up pretty much however they want to arrive at the figure that is Gross Pay. Gross pay is the NMW they have to pay and then whatever is left from the invoice after deducting all those Umbrella costs is the commission.

i.e If the government brought in a new payroll tax of 10% per run for companies with £5m+ turnover for Coronavirus - that would get passed on to the umbrella contractors because that then becomes a cost of employing them. The individual contractor wouldn't be anywhere near those limits but as an employee of the umbrella company they are generating those costs that will have to be covered somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Judgement here
                    Mr P Weldon v 6CATS UK Ltd: 2410288/2019 - GOV.UK

But it doesn't detail any of the facts of the case. It would be nice to know the exact circumstances.
                    Employment Tribunals Rules of Procedure 2013 – Rule 21
                    Under rule 21 of the Employment Tribunals (Constitution and Rules of Procedure) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/1237), if no response has been presented to the employment tribunal within the relevant time limit, an employment judge may issue a judgement on the information available, or may decide to hold a hearing.
                    Looks like the brolly didn't contest the claim so it was automatically awarded to the contractor. Not sure this is the legal landmark it's being made out as.
                    Last edited by eatenrifles; 29 May 2020, 11:22.

Comment

Not when I worked through them.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X