• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Withdrawing for deposit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withdrawing for deposit

Hi all

Whats the most tax efficient way of withdrawing large sum from my company account to pay for a house deposit?
    Not buying at the moment but if I find out now best way to do it then can plan for that from now,

Thanks

What did your accountant suggest based on your exact personal circumstance?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is no particular magic. A dividend, I suppose. A large director’s loan comes with interest and withholding tax implications and will count against your LTV too - generally not sensible. Speak to your accountant though.

Comment

There isn't one. Moving money from YourCo to You means you are getting earned income which attracts income tax just like any other earnings.

Obviously take as much as you can as a dividend at the lower rates on offer, but that only goes so far.

Only other way is to mysteriously acquire four times as much as you need in a pension pot and take the 25% tax free - if you're old enough of course...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Accountant just said only way is taking it as dividend and accepting that you will go into the second tax bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
            Accountant just said only way is taking it as dividend and accepting that you will go into the second tax bracket.
            Questions for you to think about:
            1. How much money do I want to take out of the company?
            2. How long would it take to pay this money back if taken as a loan?
            3. Could I live with the S455 charge until the money is paid back into the company?
            4. Maybe it's simpler to just take the tax hit and pull it all out as a dividends after all?

It is possible to borrow from the company with a view to paying this money back. BUT, do check this out with your accountant... obvs.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Agree with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                Questions for you to think about:
                1. How much money do I want to take out of the company?
                2. How long would it take to pay this money back if taken as a loan?
                3. Could I live with the S455 charge until the money is paid back into the company?
                4. Maybe it's simpler to just take the tax hit and pull it all out as a dividends after all?

It is possible to borrow from the company with a view to paying this money back. BUT, do check this out with your accountant... obvs.
                The amount is quite high over 30k but if I take it as a loan from my company then some mortgage brokers may not accept it as a form of income for a deposit.
                I will look into personal loan and compare the fees vs paying the personal tax.

Comment

Not buying at the moment ...

My advice?

Get your personal finances in order:
                  SAVE, SAVE, SAVE.
                  Spend less, save more. Clear down any overdrafts/loans/credit cards.
                  Max out your premium bonds - it's instant access and can be up to £50k. Might not be the highest return, but it's no risk.

Then when it comes time to move, you'll have more available deposit.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

...if I take it as a loan from my company then some mortgage brokers may not accept it as a form of income for a deposit.
                    Do you have a reference for that conclusion? Seems odd.

...I will look into personal loan and compare the fees vs paying the personal tax.
                    Don't take out a personal loan in order to contribute to your deposit! That's additional interest lost to another third-party.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X