• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any point to IPSE membership?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ...although it will cost rather more. Merkel discount their charges to IPSE members due to economies of scale.
    Not necessarily. I was looking at this recently myself.

Markel have a Legal Expenses policy that covers £100k of IR35 tax investigation fees, also jury duty, and more for under £50 per year.

It seems to be hidden from IPSE members as when I try to use the 10% discount code when getting a quote online, it simply vanishes from the available cover options.

Taking a closer look, the cover limits are not like-for-like and I think IPSE have custom Markel policies for IPSE Standard and IPSE+ that beef them up over and above the direct Markel policy.

Anyone considering the insurance only route such as Markel or another insurance provider needs to review the policy wording, limits of cover, etc and make their own decision on what is right for them.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

Anyone considering the insurance only route such as Markel or another insurance provider needs to review the policy wording, limits of cover, etc and make their own decision on what is right for them.
      As one of the Directors of IPSE themselves found out when they tried to claim, you need to read their policy wording too as when they tried to claim the company had gone bust in the wrong way so wasn't covered IIRC
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        As one of the Directors of IPSE themselves found out when they tried to claim, you need to read their policy wording too as when they tried to claim the company had gone bust in the wrong way so wasn't covered IIRC
        It's not only them. I have had a claim refused this week by my travel insurance policy. I claimed for bankruptcy of the travel agent or in policy terms, "the travel service provider". Same thing? Not in insurance land it isn't. The policy small print definition excludes travel agents and hotel booking services from being covered. Apparently, a travel agent isn't a "travel services provider" in their world. Needless to say, a complaint is now filed and will be taken as far as possible.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I've said this before but the cover worked nicely for me when my company and I were investigated and they shortened the process by a few months (and possibly something more serious). Day to day I use the vouchers for Sainsburys, Tesco and Expedia which offsets a lot of it

So IPSE+ is £319.20

I reckon I spend £60 in Sainsbury's a week maybe
          5% of that is £3
          52 weeks of that is £156

Expedia 10% off
          Spend what, 2k on hotels a year?
          That's £200 off the best prices in the business most of the time

That's before getting into the gym and occasional trips to Tesco

So you're on £356 already - you've offset the membership cost and you still have all the insurance-like benefits (sickness, clients not paying, HMRC investigations)

I actually spent about 5k on hotels last year...

It does work out if you use it just a bit. Plus you get one other benefit - sleeping soundly knowing you're covered if you get the knock. They've got 2 years from the end of each accounting period you know... and those Corona payouts aren't going to pay for themselves, someone will need tapping up for it...
          Last edited by PerfectStorm; 5 June 2020, 15:05.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
          X