• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any point to IPSE membership?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been a member of IPSE since way back when it was still the PCG, and have renewed my membership every year in the event of an IR35 investigation.

I've been in the same contract for a while so was thinking whether to move to a QDOS IR35 insurance policy instead. I asked IPSE about their IR35 case successes, to see if keeping the membership was a good idea, and the reply I got made it very clear that they are 'hands off' wrt IR35

They said:

In the event that you make a claim for representation against your IPSE membership we appoint a representative from Markel Tax, all claims are sent directly to them. Markel’s professional expenses insurances is provided to IPSE members at a discount.

I'm not really interested with IPSEs other services, like jury duty cover - so is there no real point in keeping my membership? Surely I can just go straight to Markel or Qdos?

Yes.
    But bearing in mind you can save the cost of the membership on the discount thing and the items you aren't bothered about have been used by some on here, the business interruption one particularly, why would you not get it?

The business one could come in useful if agencies or clients start going bump or don't honour the contract.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 June 2020, 14:47.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're only with IPSE for one particular insurance policy then it would definitely make sense to shop around and see if you can get that one policy elsewhere.

Just make sure you're comparing apples and apples.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
        ...the reply I got made it very clear that they are 'hands off' wrt IR35

They said:

In the event that you make a claim for representation against your IPSE membership we appoint a representative from Markel Tax, all claims are sent directly to them. Markel’s professional expenses insurances is provided to IPSE members at a discount.
        This has always been the case; even back when IPSE was PCG.

Originally posted by LouC View Post
        I'm not really interested with IPSEs other services, like jury duty cover - so is there no real point in keeping my membership? Surely I can just go straight to Markel or Qdos?
        You may not be interested -- I wasn't either TBH -- but one cannot deny that the additional benefits *can* come in useful... although they are an expensive overhead if they are not used.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          This has always been the case; even back when IPSE was PCG.

You may not be interested -- I wasn't either TBH -- but one cannot deny that the additional benefits *can* come in useful... although they are an expensive overhead if they are not used.
          That's very true - it's an insurance product and is delivered by an expert company. You can always contract directly with such a company.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            That's very true - it's an insurance product and is delivered by an expert company. You can always contract directly with such a company.
            ...although it will cost rather more. Merkel discount their charges to IPSE members due to economies of scale.

IMHO stay with IPSE, the savings won't really be significant (especially if you are constantly working) and the other benefits could save you an awful lot more. Any insurance is expensive if you don't need it, but a lot cheaper when you do (not that IPSE membership is insurance as such, hence their response....)
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

yeah I used the voucher to get the higher cost option and now thinking do I need it.
              I could have spent that money on IR35 insurance instead which would be handy knowing whats coming next year.

Comment

Probably not any more, no. I expect I am not on my own if I were to say I dislike intensely any organisation that was founded and run for the sole benefit of the membership. Only then to become a snouts in the trough-fest for a tiny minority with almost nothing of significant interest to offer to members. It's time came - It's time went. Sad, but that often happens in life. Time to move on.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You could join freelance corner instead

Freelance Corner | The biggest and brightest community for freelancers

Boy that’s confusing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    You could join freelance corner instead

Freelance Corner | The biggest and brightest community for freelancers

Boy that’s confusing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    Wow, the trough just got wider and deeper. Snouts in deeper, guys!
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X